permission problem with network shared folders
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: permission problem with network shared folders

permission problem with network shared folders

i posted this problem on the network sub-forum here but i think this is a more appropriate area:

i am running xp and word 97 on 2 networked machines at work.

i have a folder on machine A containing WORD documents. i have changed it's properties to "share this folder on the network" and "allow network users to share my files".

on machine B, i can open files in this folder. i can also make copies of files in this folder. however, when i open a file in this folder, make changes and attempt to save it .. machine B complains that it cannot save the file and WORD effectively freezes. also, machine A reboots!

the one problem i do see is the "attributes" for the folder on machine A has the "read-only" box checked. i can uncheck it and close the "properties" window. but when i re-open it, the "read-only" box is checked again.

1) how can i permanently make the folder NOT "read-only" on machine A.
    2) do you think this is the cause of the freeze & reboot problems?

thanks in advance.
    i have tried this using a third machine. that machine informs me that there is a permission problem during the save. of course, it crashes machine A while saying this.

so ... i created a new, empty folder on machine A. checking it's "properties", the "read-only" box is already checked. if i uncheck it and reopen it's properties, it is "read-only" again. this doesn't affect MY ability to save files there but it does affect other machines when i "share" it.

my question then is .. how do i permanently uncheck this "read-only" box? i'm just baffled here.
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

The problem has nothing to do with that read-only attribute, rather it is the network permissions by the sounds of it. Here is another KB article that should help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSparks View Post
    The problem has nothing to do with that read-only attribute, rather it is the network permissions by the sounds of it. Here is another KB article that should help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040
    i looked at this article. it says for "Level 5: Shared on the network (Read and Write)" to :

"Right-click the folder, and then click Sharing and Security
    Click to select the Share this folder on the network check box, and then click OK."

this is have already done.

i tried going into the windows firewall settings and disabled the local area connection. but the results were the same.

anyone else have any ideas?
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

If attempts to access the shared folder cause the computer where the share is located to crash, then there is some sort of problem with that machine. The crashing should not occur. What happens if you disconnect the network cable from that machine, what a few minutes, and press Control+Alt+Delete? Is there anything in the Event Log that might be useful?

also i might mention ...

machine B can make copies of the files on machine A. so to me it seems that the problem is not with windows but with WORD.

so maybe this is not the correct sub-form for this problem either.

or am i wrong?

What happens if you save the Word files on the local hard drive on machine B, close Word, and then copy the files to machine A? My general rule is to never open or save Office documents to anything other than a local hard drive. Using a network share should work, but doesn't always. Also, is the network folder mapped as a drive letter? If not, you could try that.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    What happens if you save the Word files on the local hard drive on machine B, close Word, and then copy the files to machine A?
    even if this works, it would still be well beyond the capabilities of the people working here. no kidding.

Also, is the network folder mapped as a drive letter? If not, you could try that.
    this is an idea. i'll have to try it and let you know what happens.

Even though saving to the local hard drive and then copying might beyond users capabilities, testing the process to see if it works would help narrow down the possible causes.

... network folder mapped as a drive letter...
    ... is the solution.

i mapped the network drive and everything works fine. no crashes.

thanks jdc
    Last edited by terryZ; February 3rd, 2009 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks for the update.

The mapped drive letter should work until one day the A machine where you are storing the files does not show up on the network for whatever reason, and then you'll have a lot of whining users until you get the machine back on the network. Note that Microsoft (and I as well) do not recommend storing Outlook .pst files on a network drive. When that drive goes missing, you'll have some additional problems if you do that.

i am rescinding my celebration. i tried this on a third machine .. and it crashes machine A.

*shakes head and sighs*

What OS is on the A machine? How many users are trying to connect to the A machine at onme time? Are any users trying to access the same file(s) on A at the same time?

machine A is XP home.
    machine C (that works) is XP home.
    > A & C are identical machines.

machine B (that crashes A on save) is XP pro.
    > B is an older pc.

only one machine at a time (during this test) is connecting to machine A.

hence, only 1 machine is trying to access any given file at a time.

i'm thinking maybe it's time to break open the piggy bank and buy a NAS

Thread Information