Vista or XP?

Thread: Vista or XP?

Vista or XP?

I am considering a replacement for my ageing Win 2000 PC and will probably buy a laptop. Most laptops available use Vista but there are still some to buy with XP installed.

I have heard some misgivings about Windows Vista but have not heard what specific problems there are. I have even heard of people downgrading from Vista to XP for some reason! Can that be true? If so, what is so bad about Vista?

If Vista needs more resources to work properly than XP, what is the minimum recommended specification for a Vista laptop?
    (Win XP; IE6; Firefox 8; NOD32 v4.0 AV; Comodo Firewall Pro v 2.4; Cable Broadband)

Vista's User Account Control is probably the most annoying new "feature". There are lots of things that have been moved or hidden that may or may not affect your use. Vista shouldn't cause any major issues though.

Most decent Vista laptops ship with 3GB of memory standard.

In short - Vista works fine and if you have experience with it, you'll be closer to being able to use Windows 7......

There is a pretty steep learning curve with Vista....But if you're into computers its worth it...

There are also Many more threads just like yours to help answer your questions.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

It is generally true that Vista will run slower on the same hardware than XP will. Having said that, as long as the PC isn't at the bottom end, hardware wise, then you are unlikely to notice. Windows 7 promises to be much quicker. I've been running Vista since the early betas, and I much prefer it to WinXP. Yes, there are annoyances, but they are minor for the most part, in my view. I've never quite been able to see what all the fuss actually is about with Vista - I am often left with the feeling that I am running a different OS to most of the complainers And that, I suspect, is the real nub of the matter, people try it, don't like the different UI, and rush to their keyboards to moan about how terrible it is without ever really trying it out properly.
    Nick.

A one hour so called trial does not make it. Give it 6 weeks and then evaluate it.

Thanks for all your positive responses, guys. Looks like I'll take the plunge and go for Vista.
    (Win XP; IE6; Firefox 8; NOD32 v4.0 AV; Comodo Firewall Pro v 2.4; Cable Broadband)

Thread Information