How can I reset graphic card drivers without starting windows?

Thread: How can I reset graphic card drivers without starting windows?

How can I reset graphic card drivers without starting windows?

Hello people. Well, the title is pretty much my question.

I bought a new graphics card the other day (well, new motherboard, ram and cpu too) and windows would flash up a blue-screen before rebooting a split second after displaying the windows logo.

I had 2 installations on a dual-boot (1 was a clean install of XP, just for fixing the main one if it ever went wrong) and so I did a repair on my main insallation but still no luck, but then did a repair on my clean install and windows did start.

Apparently my card has a history of blue-screening when it can't find the right drivers or something and I think this is whats happening with my main windows install.

So I'm convinced if I can remover the graphic drivers for this installation without having to start windows, I can get it to start.

PS. Still blue-screen-and-resets in Safe mode.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Hattyfatner; January 25th, 2009 at 11:12 PM.
    Its not big, and its not clever!

Remove new card and use the old card.
    Boot up.
    Uninstall teh Video drivers in ADD/Rmove.
    Go into device manager and remove video card. Now shutdown.

Swap to the new card and you should be able to boot up.

Sounds like you change from Nvidia to ATI or the reverse. Either way, the old drivers need to be removed first.

Thanks Train. I would do that but its a new Pci-E card and my old card is AGP and theres no AGP port on the mobo, so I don't have a replacement card...

Wouldn't be a bad idea if you mentioned the make n model number of the video card

Are you using the same XP drives that are full of all the wrong drivers? Or did you do a fresh clean install?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Hi Steve. Its an Inno (cheap brand) Nvidia 8500GT. The previous card installed was an ATI Ge-force.

I'm running an installation of XP which I'd previously installed merely to service the main installation of XP. I have a dual boot that reads 'Windows XP Proffessional' and 'Windows XP Clean install'.

I ran the windows repair from the XP boot disc on both installs, but only the clean install managed to start after that. But I would really like to get back into my main installation...

Did you switch motherboards too?

ATI AGP to a 8500 PCI-E

Unfortunatly, yes have switched from an AGP motherboard to one which only supports PCI-E. This was so I could fit the new E8400 cpu.

I've also kapooted the old motherboard at some point as I've already tried putting it back in, and its well and truly dead.

Try a repair install.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-t...s-XP-t138.html

Other than that, it will take a clean install.

Yeah, thats what I did on the two installations I mention earlier. It worked for one, but not the one I use you see.

Am thinking about buying a new card and hope that starts, so strong is my desire not to loose this installation!!!

Thank you for trying anyway

Not sure this would help but when I first built this system I used a fairly good ati pci card from my last system - of course it had to die in a few months & I ordered a Nvidia 8800gt/oc card & suffered for a few days untill it came....tore the box apart and put it in with the driver CD handy....no boot - blue screen & at the time no options I could think of....then I dug into my box of "not going to put these in the landfill" cards and found an old maybe 32 meg pci card I bought around 1999.......hummmmmm....wonder if?.....
    ....put it in and used the analog cable for the LCD monitor and JOY...it booted normaly (well....640x480 or so) although you could almost see each pixel drawn as it did...
    ....anyway - installed the new drivers and removed the old ones - attached the DVI cable - rebooted & reset the monitor to DVI & it worked -
    maybe you can borrow a card & try that???

Thanks mj. Now all I need is a geek with hoarding inclinations, who isn't me, with PCI card. That would work, yeah. Am kicking myself for not getting a mobo with onboard VGA now.

Have put my order in for a 9600GT now though, so fingers crossed that one works.

Thread Information