I need advice on which microsoft critical update to
My computer is set to notify me before anything downloads
for the updates !
The problem is I havent installed SP3 yet so nothing
is comming for updates .
I have XP Home with SP1 & SP2
I also have IE7
My computer has not been acting normal for a while now !
I know there is something ( Adware ) in my restore point !
My Browser eaither shuts down Very Slowly or Just freezes
I have done several scans and Panda is the only one that
caught anything, but wont remove anything ?
Does anyone have any Suggestions ?
* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here: http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html.)
* Close SUPERAntiSpyware.
PHYSICALLY DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET
Restart computer in Safe Mode. To enter Safe Mode, restart computer, and keep tapping F8 key, until menu appears; select Safe Mode; you'll see "Safe Mode" in all four corners of your screen
* Open SUPERAntiSpyware.
* Under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
* Under [b]General and Startup" tab, make sure, Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts option is UN-checked.
* Click the Scanning Control tab.
* Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked): - Close browsers before scanning.
- Scan for tracking cookies.
- Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
* Click the Close button to leave the control center screen.
* Back on the main screen, under Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer.
* On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
* On the right, under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
* Click Next to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
* After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click OK.
* Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click Next.
* A notification will appear that Quarantine and Removal is Complete. Click OK and then click the Finish button to return to the main menu.
* If asked if you want to reboot, click Yes.
* To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again. - Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
- Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
- If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
- Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
* Click Close to exit the program. Post SUPERAntiSpyware log. NOTE: Tracking cookies can be omitted from the log.
RECONNECT TO THE INTERNET
2. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php to your desktop. (Malwarebytes is free to use as a manual scanner. Payment is only required if you wish to have it run and update automatically which is not necessary for our purposes)
* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.
The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
I did the hjt and the two of them are gone
Ok what I wanted to know, is it possible for a
scan to give you a false positive
If I can dig it up , about a month or so ago
I did a scan ( dont remember which one off hand)
that came up positive for a virus in my restore point .
Now nothing comes up
Also my computer is still freezing up and still slow as all
get up !
Could McAfee be slowing my computer down ?
Also Trend micro free online scan Wont run for me eaither .
Are you doing anything in particular, when it freezes?
Post some computer info: amount of RAM, HD size/free space.
I am just writing in ms word or following up on work emails , nothing
really tasking on the comp.
It constantly tells me I am low on windows virtual memory when in a word doc, or when typing in an email .
As far as my computer I have a 40 gig HD
About 1/2 of that is free space
Ram I dont know where to find.
Also I have roxio easy cd creator Plat.5
I was wondering , could ( I think its Direct CD or Take One)
is not supposed to be installed , I think I heard they dont
function properly , and I know they are still on my system .
Can that slow things down too, to where it acts funny ,
freezing and extremly slow starting up and shutting down.