My girl freinds computer became badly fouled last week after some questionable internet activity with her kids. I cleaned out over 350 nasties and did a repair install. The system worked fine for a few days, then she started having problems with internet explorer. It would navigate to her home page ok, but if you tried to use favorites to navigate the progam would just flash her home page then go blank ( including the tool bars ) then her home page would reappear then the same thing over and over until I tried to shut it down at which point the program would become unresponsive and ctl alt delete was needed to shut it off. So I did another repair install. I am at the point of reinstalling windows and I am getting an error message that reads:

The FILE ' asms' on windows XP Home Edition Service pk2 is needed

Type the path where the file is located, and then click ok

In the bar below that the path given as follows:

Global Root \ Device \ CDROM \
Copy files from 1386

I click ok and it does nothing.

I want to reformat the thing but she says no because the files I asked her to back up 2 weeks ago still have not been done and I cannot finish the repair install until this obstcal is resolved. There afew other issues but I will get to that when the repair install is complete. thanks.

ps the cdrom drive is not there I tried to uninstal the driver and reboot. It worked untill the point I am at, but now I am not sure. This thing is so fouled, i think a clean install is in order. Again thanks!