Stuck in sleep mode

Thread: Stuck in sleep mode

Question Stuck in sleep mode

Hello,
    I recently got a new laptop, a Dell Studio with Windows Vista Ultimate SP1installed on it. I've run into a problem where the computer won't come out of sleep mode when I open it up to use it again. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be a problem. The screen will just flicker a couple of times, and then stay dark, it doesn't go to the log on screen. So then I have to hold the power button in and make it shut off, then turn it back on. The tech guy from Dell says it is a glitch with the Vista operating system and will probably be addressed in an update soon. I asked if I could just set it so it wouldn't go into sleep mode, but he said that is hard on the battery. I rarely run it strictly from the battery, 99% of the time it is plugged in. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this trouble and what can be done about it?
    Thanks in advance!

Windows power saving features has never been 100% reliable.
    If you don't use battery much, disable sleep mode.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and braved the unknown (Vista and laptop settings) and found the option in power settings to "do nothing" when closing the lid when plugged in. Hopefully that will do the trick!

Since that is a new laptop, this should be of interest to you.

http://h20239.www2.hp.com/techcenter...attery_max.htm

Thanks for the link, there is a lot of good information there! This is my first laptop, as well as my first experience with Vista. I'm slowly adjusting to and learning both...and trying not to mess things up too badly as I go!

You are Welcome that link saved my bacon in reference to my lapper battery too.

Thread Information