[RESOLVED] Continuous Reboot--blue screen flashes too quick

Thread: [RESOLVED] Continuous Reboot--blue screen flashes too quick

Resolved [RESOLVED] Continuous Reboot--blue screen flashes too quick

I'm trying to figure out a problem with a continuous reboot but when the XP screen comes up to start loading the OS, almost immediately after that the blue screen with the error message comes up but it's too fast to read....is there a way to pause this somehow to find out the blue screen error message?

It does this in safe mode, last know config and start windows normally modes.

Go into the BIOS and select Stay Off, Remain Off or however it's worded under Power Options | Upon Power Loss. It could be worded any number of ways. (Most BIOSes have Restart as the default setting, for some reason.)

Once that's been changed, upon your next BSOD the blue screen should remain up as long as it takes to read it. Post the error message/code and we can probably help narrow things down.

no dice, I change the value and it still flashes up and reboots...

I should also add that the system is a clean build P4 system...not a HP with an AMD :-)

The owner says the computer was on, the power went out, when the computer was started back up, continuous reboot is what it did. It's possible it may have been in the middle of an XP update when the power went out.

Try hitting the F8 key just before windows starts to load.. then choose the option 'disable automatic restart' or something similar..

then u'll get to see the blue screen together with its details.

try googling the error message.

goodluck.
    ASUS P5Q-E (1306 BIOS)
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3400 MHz (8 x 425)
    G Skill F2-8500CL5 4 GB DDR2-1066 (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz)
    GeForce 7950 GX2 (1024 MB)
    Hardisks Total Size 1863.0 GB
    Monitor LG L1970HR
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Go to Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup & Recovery>Settings and uncheck "Automatically restart". The next time it happens you may get a Stop error, which is much easier to troubleshoot. Post back what it says. If it still continues to reboot after that then it points to a hardware problem, and the power supply would be first on my list of suspects.
    Nick.

Since, there was a power issue , you should run diagnostics on the hard drive and ram to ensure they were not damaged. Check the motherboard, add-on cards and power supply for any bad caps. http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

If the hardware checks out okay, my suggestion would be to run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console until it fixes all errors. Then afterwards, you'll probably need to repair the registry. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

I find it easier to use ubcd4win, and just copy / paste . ...don't forget to backup first.

added: see sticky first, http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=230637
    Last edited by Rocketmech; November 23rd, 2008 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by niiiro View Post
    Try hitting the F8 key just before windows starts to load.. then choose the option 'disable automatic restart' or something similar..

then u'll get to see the blue screen together with its details.

try googling the error message.

goodluck.
    Thanks, that worked perfectly. I disabled the auto-restart....it's an "unmountable boot volume" error. Did a chkdsk at the XP recovery command prompt and did a "fixboot" --- it said the bootsector is corrupt...then new bootsector successfully written....

computer now boots just fine. Thanks for the help, I appreciate everyone's input. The power outage must have corrupted the bootsector somehow.

You are lucky that it did not scramble the whole partition.

Good to hear you sorted things out. Thanks for the update.

Thread Information