DVD capacity not reflected

Thread: DVD capacity not reflected

DVD capacity not reflected

Hi to all: Just been tooling around with the DVD/R burner. Just noticed that when checking the used and free space feature, the stats don't seem to match up or reflect correctly. Seems like the disk is being analyzed as a CD/R rather than a DVD. I'm working on a mini DVD/R, 1.4Gb, and the info seems to state that it's a 645 capacity disk. Is there an answer. Once heard that DVD info is not accurately reflected when doing the disk capacity check. Is so!? Any work-around? Information on the DVD/R wlrks okay, is accessible, functional. Regards to all, Jim S
    Jim S.

You sure, it's not cDVD?
    Did you buy those DVDs brand new?

Checking

Hi, thanks for your note. I just turned around and reached blindly behind me to see what the box says. I might be a stinker! The mini DVD-RW diskkkkks were a gift, and only opened a few days back. Didn't know they were RWs. Do they have to be formatted before use, though the items I copied to one seems to work okay? The MINI DVD/RW are 2x 30 min and rated at 1.4 GBs. Suppose I should be more careful, and nice to know they are RW DVDs. Could the fact that I didn't form the one I burned to have anything to do with the issue of not seeing a correct reflection of disk capacity in the disk properties? Appreciate, as always, the good counsel found here. Regards Jim S
    Jim S.

I don't think, you format any DVDs in today's computers.

Don't format then, just erase what is on them with your burning program.

Ruined a few before learning the hard way.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Just to add to this, those disks though they say 1.4gb you'll not get 1.4gb of space......there's a smidgen of the disk that can't be written to.

Thread Information