Unable to Edit Embedded Objects in PowerPoint

Thread: Unable to Edit Embedded Objects in PowerPoint

I am using Office 2003 Professional SP3 - Windows XP SP3. When I try double-click to edit an Excel spreadsheet which has been inserted into my PowerPoint, I get te following errors:

1) Error accessing file. Network connection may have been lost.
    2) Microsoft Office PowerPoint can't start the application required to open this object. An error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly. Would you liek to repair this feature now?
    3) There isn't enough memory available to read worksheet.

This happens with all PowerPoint presentations on 1 workstation only. All of our other workstations will allow editing of the worksheet within PowerPoint. I have run a "Detect and Repair" and also tried running the "repair" as stated in error #2...with no luck. I have found several articles which indicate a problem with Norton AV but the workstation does not have...and never did have Norton AV installed. We use the CA eTrust product. I have found a lot of information on the error...but no solutions!

Has anyone out there ever experienced this problem...and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Jenn

Check the path specified in the link to the Excel document. It may be using a mapped drive that is no longer mapped or otherwise be incorrect.

Thanks so much for the quick response! The link seems to be fine - the spreadsheet is located within her My Documents folder. We even tried moving the original spreadsheet from that folder - saved it to the desktop and tried to re-insert into the PowerPoint with the same results.

Does this happen if you first start Excel before trying to edit the sheet?

Yes, just tried it - error occurs whether or not Excel is open. Thanks.

I assume that the file extension in the link is .xls and when you double click on the file itself, it opend in Excel. This would confirm that the file association is OK.

Thread Information