[RESOLVED] Internet Explorer 100% cpu usage

Thread: [RESOLVED] Internet Explorer 100% cpu usage

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Internet Explorer 100% cpu usage

I'm completely stumped with this. The computer is a P4 1.7 GHz, 608MB SDRAM, 40GB HD. The motherboard is a Shuttle.
    Even after formatting, IE 6 and/or 7 gets very high CPU usage, often 100%. I've tried a 1GB DDR400 stick of RAM (the mobo can use both SD and DDR), I've tried other processors as well with the same results. What am I missing here?

Could it be flash animation? I've found that to be the most frequent cause of high CPU usage in IE
    Nick.

It could be, I'll try to uninstall Flash and see, But even so, why would it effect this computer in this way as opposed to all computers?

Well it's only single core, that doesn't help. Where I see high CPU use on my rigs, I notice that it is always one core that is close to maxed out.
    Nick.

Nick, you were spot on with the Flash. On regular simple sites, such as google.com, there is low CPU usage. I can even open 10 windows with google.com without the computer breaking a sweat. When I go to the customers homepage, www.ynet.co.il, it immediately goes crazy. I've tried uninstalling flash and going to the same website and the CPU usage is under control.
    So what do you suggest I do? Flash is unavoidable on the net.

Nestled in the corn fields of Northwest Ohio
    I have a p4 2.8 with 2gb ram and that site worked fine in IE. except it looks like it caters to birds from the peanuts comic strip.

Quote Originally Posted by usil View Post
    Nick, you were spot on with the Flash. On regular simple sites, such as google.com, there is low CPU usage. I can even open 10 windows with google.com without the computer breaking a sweat. When I go to the customers homepage, www.ynet.co.il, it immediately goes crazy. I've tried uninstalling flash and going to the same website and the CPU usage is under control.
    So what do you suggest I do? Flash is unavoidable on the net.
    That link makes my Core 2 Duo go nuts too...
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Might need the latest version of flash for that rig.

AMD 2500 Barton and once the page is loaded it bounces basically between 30% and 70 % cpu usage. I have the latest version.

What I do is to have Flash enabled in IE7, and I use the excellent Flashblock in Firefox, which is the browser that I use most of the time. For the odd site that needs flash and that Flashblock interferes with I can use IE, for everything else Flashblock gives me control over Flash

http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

Aside from these idiotic Flash ads making people's computers unusable, because of their incompetent programming, think of the amount of extra electrical power being wasted with those completely unnecessary CPU cycles. It's bad for the pocket and bad for the planet
    Nick.

This is interesting...(dual core here)
    When I access the above site with FF, CPU usage stays totally flat, and low.
    When I access it with IE, it jumps up to 90%, but after about 30 sec, it settles down at about 30% (almost all taken by IE).

Thanks all for your insights. I think I can safely say that it's a common occurrence for the CPU usage to jump like that, and for the computer to go real slow, especially with 608MB of 133 SDRam.
    I'm gonna format the computer in any case, end explain the customer that he simply won't get better performance with that computer due to its old hardware.

Thread Information