Hardware being affected by temp/power? Or just plain bad?

Thread: Hardware being affected by temp/power? Or just plain bad?

Unhappy Hardware being affected by temp/power? Or just plain bad?

I believe my hardware is quite good to run games the likes of Crysis, the Witcher, Guitar Hero etc.

However, it seems that the newer games I play cause my PC to completely freeze after some time. Processes running in the background significantly decrease time before freeze.

I have deduced three potential reasons, one is simply faulty hardware, two is high temperatures and third is lack of power. I'd like to debunk the latter of the three right now by saying I have a big 1000W block.

Anyways, on to my specs:
    Intel Core2Quad Q9450 2.66ghz
    2GB ddr3 ram
    Asus Striker II mobo
    bfg geforce 9800 GTX2
    audigy x-fi xtreme audio

In a big antec 1200 case. Two fans in the front, two in the back, one big one on top and a big Zalman fan/heatsink on the processor. Not to mention the auxiliary fan I have going right beside the PC itself.

I'm not really sure what to think now if my hardware is faulty, the question being, which components?

Here are my asus PCProbe stats (voltage and temperature); I'm not really sure how to interpret them:
    http://www.lookpic.com/files/stats.JPG

All drivers are the latest.

Any input is extremely appreciated.

However, it seems that the newer games I play cause my PC to completely freeze after some time. Processes running in the background significantly decrease time before freeze.
    If you reboot and go straight back to the game does it run ok and for the normal length of time till it freezes again?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    If you reboot and go straight back to the game does it run ok and for the normal length of time till it freezes again?
    Yes, just about.

First place I would look is the card itself. The temps may be getting too high. Try Rivatuner to check the GPU temps. You shouldn't get any higher on load playing those games than around 60 to 65° C. It's possible it may be overheating and throttling down on you. Check your idle temps also.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

Okay, I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing with RivaTuner but I managed to get hardware monitoring enabled and at that point it measured 65 degrees.
    I ran the new Crysis game and played for 10 minutes and exited, to which Rivatuner displayed a top temperature of 77 degrees.

So far as using RivaTuner to tweak anything, I haven't the slightest clue on how.

Edit: It is a multi GPU video card actually and I found three separate temp. readings. 'Core 0 and Core 1' both had readings of 65 at startup of PC and maximums of 80/81 while running Crysis.
    The third reading, simply 'Core' was a few integers lower than the other two.
    Last edited by monkmaster; October 26th, 2008 at 06:55 PM.

Your temps look good. Its like your room is a freezer, CPU: 16c , MB: 19c . And the VGA @ 77 during gaming . Unless the temp readings are wrong, the problem is not temps. Congrats on a Cooool case.
    Run diagnostics on the ram and hard drive. UBCD has both. (no errors allowed btw) Meantime, turn off everything running in the background during gaming, like AV, firewall, messaging, etc. , especially auto updates.

FWIW: At its highest quality setting, Crysis will punish most systems.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    FWIW: At its highest quality setting, Crysis will punish most systems.
    No doubt, however when I'm crashing at the "Runs Great with nVidia" intro clip; somethings definitely wrong.

Thread Information