Windows does not boot in safe mode
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows does not boot in safe mode

Windows does not boot in safe mode

My friend gave his laptop that he bought 1 year ago. The problem is it does not boot normally and even in SAFE mode.

The problem started when he use the laptop after sitting it for idling for a month (summer vacation). The computer started normally and AVG7.5 kicked in and started to download updates automatically. After that, the computer restarted and bloom, nothing happened, no Windows Welcome screen, no blue screen, no error messages. He then called me and I guided him to boot in safe mode. The computer just stops after display couple multidisk(0)partition(0) lines. The last 2 lines are \system32\config\system and \system32\config\system.log.

Though he has the recovery disc, he doesn't want to re-format the drive as there are couple important program installed and data stored. I used an external USB/SATA device to connect his disk to my computer. I can see the folders and files there, I can do the virus scan on his system drive - no threat.

Please advice how we "repair" Windows without wipe away everything. Thanks a lot.

It looks like registry got messed up.
    Check here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

Thanks Broni for your prompt suggest. I did read this KB before but the warning as shown below does scare me.
    "Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives. "
    Since this system is pre-installed, I want to have more information before I try. Also, the laptop actually does not give any error message. It just stops there. I notice that the drive activity light does not blinks after the \config\system.log displayed.

Does anyone have comments on the Spotmau's Power Suit Professional which claims to be able to repair Windows boot up crash, recover registry etc. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by comp_see

Please advice how we "repair" Windows without wipe away everything. Thanks a lot.
    Try this:
    1. Boot the computer from your Windows XP CD.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen press [Enter] to start the Windows Setup.

Note: Do not choose
      "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R",
      (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

3. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

4. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press [R] to start the repair. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

5. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will then continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
    How to perform a re-install of WinXP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;315341

Repair XP
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repa...sting%20Setup:

WinXP Non-destructive Total Rebuild
    http://www.informationweek.com/windo...leID=189400897

Note: When you're done, be sure to visit Microsoft Windows update and at least apply all Critical updates:

Thanks SpywareDr. One more question: The notebook comes with comes with a recovery 2-DVD set. I think running them will format the hard drive. Can I "borrow" other WinXP CD for the repair and still keeping the original CD-key? Thanks.

I think running them will format the hard drive
    Yes.
    Can I "borrow" other WinXP CD for the repair
    Yes, however that CD must have same SP version, as your computer. You don't need key for repair.

My friend got the information of what and where the data files are. I'm starting to copy these files to another drive by taking his hard drive out from the laptop, connecting it thro an external USB/SATA device to the USB port of my laptop. Then I connect another external USB hard drive.

I encounter a lot of Folder or File is corrupted or unreadable error message. One folder even can't be opened. It seems that the FAT (NTFS) is damaged. How can I repair it safely? Thanks.

I'm not even sure what you're doing.

At this point it might be a good idea to reconnect the hard drive to the notebook and run the appropiate Hard Drive Diagnostic Tool below. Hard drive diagnostic utilities are used primarily for determining the physical condition of your hard drive, (drive integrity and read/write verification). If you are having computer problems which you suspect are hard drive related, you can test your drive with the following:Note: In most instances you download the file to a hard drive then (extract)/execute it to create a bootable diskette or ISO CD-ROM image.

Broni, what I'm doing is to copy the valuable data files from the problem hard drive before I go to repair registry or re-installing Windows. I hook up the problem hard drive via a USB/SATA device to my laptop and another external hard drive to it as well.
    I use Windows Explorer, select files, click copy in the folders of the problem hard drive and then go to the other external drive and paste. I encounter message that "File <filename> cannot be copied because Folder or File is corrupted or unreadable." Copying stopped at the file causing the error. I then copy files one by one and found that almost 1 out of 3 cannot be copied.
    SpywareDr, thanks for your links. It is a Toshiba hard drive. Do you have link to download diagnostic tools? Thanks.

It may be hard drive problem, then...

I don't believe Toshiba provides diagnostic tools for their hard drives. You might try Seagate's "SeaTools for Windows":
    SeaTools for Windows is a comprehensive, easy-to-use diagnostic tool that helps you quickly determine the condition of the disc drive in your external hard drive, desktop or notebook computer. It includes several tests that will examine the physical media on your Seagate or Maxtor disc drive and any other non-Seagate disc drive.

SeaTools for Windows tests USB, 1394, ATA (PATA/IDE), SATA and SCSI drives. It installs onto your system. SeaTools for Windows is completely data safe.
    If it finds errors, you might try Ontrack:

Toshiba must have the worst customer support. I experienced them before.

Hi, everybody, I mislead you that the drive is a Hitachi Travelstart. I downloaded the Drive Fitness Test and test it in the problem computer. The DFT doesn't support external USB connection. I have to put the drive back to the problem computer. The Basic test is passed and the Advanced Test is undergone now. Post back the results later.

Thread Information