1st SP1 problem.. guess who!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st SP1 problem.. guess who!

Angry 1st SP1 problem.. guess who!

Auto update picked up and installed SP1 tonight. I just let it get on with it other than pressing for a restart at one point.

When I cam back all seemed ok. Opened IE with no problem, opened Windows Mail - blue screen

It gave an 0x0000008E code and something about tcpip.sys.

I shut down and tried again - same when I opened Mail.
    There is also a desktop.ini 'shaded out' icon on the desktop that wasn't there before?? Is this for deleting or what?

I'm currently downloading the file to hard drive - could I try and re-instal or is there another way?

I'm kicking myself now that I didn't switch on system restore just for this but I foolishly assumed all was checked and all would be well

You can delete the Desktop.ini file, it's because you have Folder Options set to show protected system files that you are seeing it, but it does no harm to delete it if you wish.

See if there is an updated driver for your network card - that Tcpip.sys error sounds like a driver bug to me (it's quite possible that some change in SP1 could have exacerbated the situation).
    Nick.

Can't you uninstall SP1?

Quote Originally Posted by Broni
    Can't you uninstall SP1?
    Tell me how (please) and it's off - just noticed I have no sound now either

Go to Control Panel. Double click on Windows updates, click on Installed Updates in lower left pane.
    You should find Service Pack 1 listed in right pane (KB936330). Click Uninstall

Removed, phew!

All back to normal. What now?

Forget it or what? Is there a better/different way to instal it?

What did you mean in your original post:
    I just let it get on with it other than pressing for a restart at one point.

Well I thought afterwards I should have maybe sat there and watched what it did in case it asked for things. I was just wondering if I missed something by not 'being there'

I could try again as I downloaded it from the link in the thread rather than let it do it from the auto update centre? What do you think?

I didn't install SP1, yet. I'm planning to do this over the weekend, since it's time consuming.
    This is what is my plan...
    1. Run CCleaner to make sure, all garbage is gone.
    2. Create fresh HD image, using Acronis (If you don't have any imaging program, make sure, you create Restore Point - Windows creates Restore Point before any update, but...).
    3. Download standalone SP1, and install it, while watching it. I believe, it requires 3 restarts, which most likely are done automatically, but...

As with XP, I'll bet most problems people will have with Vista SP1 will be due to lurking malware that needs removing first.

The best wasy to install SP1, as with any big download, is to save it to disk, disconnect from the internet and disable your A/V and antispyware, then install. Re-enable the apps when done, then reconnect your computer to the internet.

As with XP, I'll bet most problems people will have with Vista SP1 will be due to lurking malware that needs removing first.
    This is excellent point!

i installed it yesterday and it took out my Nvida drivers and rhe nvida console.
    Contacted HP and they worked on it yesterday and today Driver reinstall stated no drivers for this operating system.
    Did a system restore and all is fine minus SP1.
    HP states they are releasing a HP version of SP1 in April.
    will try again in Apri

FWIW, I've now installed SP1 on 5 or 6 different Vista installations, and I haven't bothered sitting through any of them, I just leave it to do its thing. There is nothing that it requires you to do during the update.

As with every Windows Service Pack in the past, there are inevitably going to be a small percentage of machines that are going to have problems after the update - the number of possible hardware and software permutations are so vast that is always going to happen. My personal feeling is that SP1 is not as essential as some service packs (such as XP SP2) - it is largely a rollup of existing hotfixes, most of which you will already have (or should have).
    Nick.

I agree with lgbpop

After a clean install of XP was the best way to install Service Packs so I`m not going to install SP1 until I do a reinstall of Vista.

Maybe have it slipstreamed by then

Elaine

If it ain't broke, leave it alone.

I've tried again (after uninstalling it) ran ccleaner to tidy everything up, switched off AV, and everything else, installed from download rather than auto update, but no go. Same error, same blue screen when I open Windows Mail (and no sound again either)

Guess I'll just have to not bother with SP1

Thread Information