[RESOLVED] Gateway Laptop Won't Power On

Thread: [RESOLVED] Gateway Laptop Won't Power On

Resolved [RESOLVED] Gateway Laptop Won't Power On

I have 2 Gateway laptops that have the same problem. One is a MX6447 and the other is a MT6451. They both won't power on. Both laptops have brand new batteries and new AC adapters.

When the laptops are plugged in there isn't any lights anywhere on the keyboard lighting up. These laptops are just about a year old. I have tried reseating the batteries and I have also tried powering them on without the batteries installed and still no good.

One thing that I did find that is weird on both is that when I pop the batteries out there is actually a little battery power button that can be pushed in to show the battery charge but I am getting no lights on that.

So it looks like the batteries aren't being charged. Still I would think that these laptops should turn on with just the ac adapters hooked up with no batteries installed. Is there anything else I can try?

One of the most common issues with notebooks is the ac adaptor getting ripped loose from the mobo and requiring a new mobo.

Do the ac adpators seems loose when plugged in?

Do the machine by any chance have a reset button on the bottom?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Just because the batteries and adapters are brand new doesn't mean that they are good. It might be time for a meter check to test them.

The power pins are not loose and the adapters are fitting tight. I have seen them break before which usually requires a motherboard replacment. I am not sure about any reset buttons on the bottom of the machines but I will look.

I have tested the ac adapter and it is fine. Am I correct in assuming the laptop should still power up without the battery installed?

A lot of them will NOT to anything without the battery. But some will, I swear it is just to confude matters.

I called Gateway and talked to their tech support to see if they had any ideas. They had me take out the battery and unplug the ac adapter. They then told me to hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Which I did.

They told me that if it didn't start after that then the motherboard was bad. It did not power up. They also told me that the laptop will run without a battery and just the ac adapter hooked up.

Since it appears that the motherboard is bad they advised me that all Gateway parts can be ordered from their Gateway parts supplier. Their website is www.mundocorp.com and the phone number for anybody interested is 1-865-940-3040

mother board

how hard is it to replace a mother board and where can directions on how to be found.

rock the cat -

It depends on the make and model of the computer, and directions can often be found using a Google search.

Thread Information