Lightning Problem

Thread: Lightning Problem

Lightning Problem

This is a little complicated, but I’ll try. We have two Dell desktop computers at side-by-side desks.
    Computer A has the problem, B works fine. We have both computers using WindowsXP and both are connected to the same router using DSL. Both are connected through a surge protector (as is the DSL connection).

Often, when there is lightning in the area Computer B continues to function with no problem. Computer A stops internet functioning. The Local Area Connection Status under "Connection" shows “Status” – connected, “Speed” 100 Mbps. Under “Activity it shows “Packets” sent and received 0.

So, while computer B is receiving internet Computer A is not. Rebooting does not change this problem.
    Disabling and then enabling the LAN does not correct the problem. A number of months ago, a friend Installed a new ? card (don’t know the proper name, but he knew) and the problem was not solved.
    I finally “restored” the computer to the day before the lightning and voila, the problem was solved.
    Since then, this problem has recurred many times (we live in Indiana in a rural area where there are frequent storms) and my only recourse is to restore the computer to the previous day (which always allows internet connection again).

Last night, at the beginning of a new storm I disconnected the computer as soon as the storm started, but problem still was there this morning..

This is a BIG mystery to me. All ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

Walt in Indiana

TCIP set to obtain automatic in both pc's?
    Sounds like router doesn't assign correct address, so would guess a router issue

eddds40,

Thanks for speedy reply. Have to educate me ... what is TCIP?

Otherwise, can't answer the question.

Walt

I left out a p tcp/ip basically transmission protocol
    In network connections in internet connections local area connections you normally set to obtain addresses auto, then your router assigns the addresses to your pc

I believe my setting is "automatic" and, why does router work well for both computers now, and all the time until there is lightning in the area. Next time it happens, what (and where) should I look to see if there has been a change in the tcp/ip? Meanwhile, I'll copy all the current IP addresses I find on my computer. Both for router and for computer.

Walt

What I would think is that in a storm your router resets and it doesn't hand out the same address to the pc so it can't connect.
    Look at your router settings and see how it has the clients connected and their ip address now then check that again when the pc wont connect. From the machine that does connect . Depending on which router and what software it is using you should be able to get the information from router

I have gotten the IP information for both computers using "ipconfig /all" in a DOS screen. Have saved the information and next time there is a storm and the problem arises I certainly will check the numbers.

Thanks for the information. I guess there is nothing more to do re this problem so will mark it "solved".

Walt

Lightning is funny and the best way to protect you pc is to unplug everything from the case. Yes, even the speakers it has been posted having been left plugged in caused about everything to be destroyed in the case when lightning struck need the home.

I have seen where the case was the only thing that could be salvaged .

Train,

Given the number of night storms we have at this time of year I'll have to be unplugging everything almost nightly .. just in case. Waiting for the storm can be dangerous (like last night).

Thanks for the tip though. Lightning has twice in the past month destroyed the telephone system of a house just 100 yards away (my daughter's).

Walt

I know what is like. Lived in North Caroline about 11 years.

Living in Rural N.E I also have a lot of lighting issues , When most of this area was on dialup it was the modem that got it most of the time on indirect hit's. Now have Satilite and seen no problems with it getting the modem/ Router their, but where they have dsl which connects over the tele lines it still gets the modems so would assume in your case it may of damaged your modem at some time which could cause your problems. One time I had a ball of fire come out of a light fixture 10 feet from pc that time it took most all of the parts of
    The PC Ram,Hard Drives was all that was left

Thread Information