Motherboard question

Thread: Motherboard question

Motherboard question

I was given a motherboard & it would not fit into my existing PC. I bought a new case & installed it. Question is I want take out the hard drives (2) from my existing computer & put them in the new one - I have a dual boot (xp & vista) installed - will they run in the new computer?

Since you changed the motherboard, you will need to do a repair install at a minumum for each OS.

The hds will work, but as the mob drivers will change with new mobo that is what will require the reinstall as a minimum.

Thanks Train - I'll report back & let you know how it all went

You're Welcome and PLEASE do let us know.

Train - the repair worked fine - my problem now is when doing a new boot or from hibernating the first thing that pops up on the screen is a Intel Inside Pentium 4 logo and it sits there for 60 seconds. The screen then goes blank for 30 seconds. Because I'm doing a dual boot (xp & vista) it then asks me for my choice. Any ideas on how to speed this up?

Disable the Intel Inside Pentium 4 logo in BIOS should help out.

Also there is a 30 second delay to enable you to select the OS in the boot.ini which is a hidden file.

Thanks Train - I lowered the delay in boot.ini but have no idea how to disable the logo in the Bios. Also, I have no idea what the 30 second black out (except for a blinking curser) is after the logo.

I have a black out there also in XP. Darn if I know what is going on either. Just live with it.

The full screen Logo display is usually in the advance BIOS features.

Boot to set up, now here you have to use the arrow keys as the mouse will not work, then go into that section and disable it.

Usuall DEL or F1 are the keys to use during boot up to get there. But it can vary depending on the mobo maker.

I have no troubles getting into the bios. It's moi moi time so I'll be checking it out tomorrow.

Train - nothing in the advance bios system. The person that gave me the MB (he knows way more about computers than me) spent about 2 hours this afternoon working on it to no avail. He feels that the bios is looking for something when we turn it on but what we don't know. Thanks for the help anyway.

I have seen something like that at times. Flay irritating and nothing I have been able to do about it either. I built the darn computer too.

Thanks for posting back the update.

Thread Information