Windows.old files from reinstall of windows

Thread: Windows.old files from reinstall of windows

Windows.old files from reinstall of windows

Back in March I had to reinstall Windows Vista to fix a problem with my computer. I now have 'windows.old' on my hard drive. Can I get rid of these files safely? I don't see any need for them and it just takes longer to do any scans. How best to go about getting rid of them? I mean, is there a proper way of doing it or do I just right click on it and delete? (They are now on a slaved hard drive - whether that matters or not I don't know.) I haven't had any reason to access them since the system was restored so I doubt they are of any value, just taking up space... and time when scanning. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I won't act on it right away as I am in the middle of getting rid of infections/viruses but it came up while scanning my computer with ESET which is taking forever thanks to 'windows.old'.

What happened is you did not remove the partition and remake it, therefore the new install placed all files in the windows.old folder and then finished installing. You can take ownership and recover data you would hate to lose before deleting that folder.

Here are instructions on how to remeove the folder:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...ows-old-folder

Vista is the same as Win7 in this regard, so don't worry that the article refers to Win7.
    Nick.

Thread Information