Monitor Color/Tint Change

Thread: Monitor Color/Tint Change

Monitor Color/Tint Change

EDIT:

Never mind this post. I thought my desktop's monitor had changed color/tint. It seems it was due to using my laptop for an extended period and having my eyes adjust to that. An admin can go ahead and delete this post.
    Last edited by Syzich; June 12th, 2008 at 07:36 PM.

No, that is a good point about extended usage messing our eyes up.
    And Thanks for posting that bit of information!

OK, it does look like there is a problem of some sort with my monitor. I pressed the menu button on the front of the monitor to get into the options and without changing any of the options myself, the screen got brighter and the color/tint changed to what I remember it being previously, then it turned back as I pressed the forward and back buttons to scroll through options. It seems to be doing this intermittently now, as while I'm typing this it has done it a few times without pressing my monitor's menu button.

When it does this, the screen gets darker and then some colors have a noticeably greener/yellowish tint to them. A while back I posted about another problem with my monitor. Here is that thread: http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=225556 This one is also still an ongoing thing.

Is it possible these two problems are related?
    Last edited by Syzich; June 14th, 2008 at 02:33 PM.

Yea... so I think my monitor is on its way out. Earlier I went out to run a few errands and then I come back to check something on the internet. I turn the monitor on to find the screen almost completely black except for a small bit on the left and right sides of the screen(it was less than half an inch). I couldn't see a whole lot of the task bar and couldn't see my mouse pointer at all, so I had to power off the computer by pressing the power button for a few seconds. I decided to swap my monitor with my dad's just to rule out the possibility of my video card being at fault. I connected his monitor to my computer and it was just fine. No color/tint problem. I also decided to connect my monitor to his computer as well. The problem with the colors was still present on my monitor when connected to his computer.

Right now, I have my monitor connected to my computer again. The screen hasn't gone black again, but the color/tint and brightness problem remains. It is also still intermittently changing. It happened a few times while typing this. So, yea... is this fixable, or am I going to be looking for a new monitor soon?

FYI, its a Dell E772C CRT. The monitor is about 7 months from being 5 years old now.

I thought I should go ahead and give the details on the graphics card as well. It's an nvidia GeForce 4 MX420 64MB. I figure if I can't save my current monitor, the card specs will help on recommendations for a replacement monitor.
    Last edited by Syzich; June 19th, 2008 at 06:32 PM.

A 19 inch LCD as a minimum.

That is a LOOOONNNGGG time for a monitor to work!
    And the video card should do the trick, even though it is real long in the tooth and can stand a update.

I was hoping I would be able to save/fix my monitor . I know my monitor is fairly old, though I didn't think 5 years was really that long of a time for it to be operational. What's the average life expectancy of most monitors anyway?

I know the video card is fairly old, too. At the time I got this computer, games weren't nearly as demanding as some can be today *I'm looking at you, Crysis and Age of Conan*. I really don't even play PC games all that much anymore. I really only play World of Warcraft on occasion now. This computer can handle that just fine. Though there have been some games released recently and that are on the horizon that have caught my eye. With this computer's current specs, though, I'd rather just build a new one .

Oh yea, you gave me a recommendation on monitor size/type, but do you recommend any certain brand/model? Do you know of any Dell brand monitors that are good? I can get a discount on those .
    Last edited by Syzich; June 20th, 2008 at 08:21 AM.

Just remembered I got my desktop and monitor in Nov. of 2002. So, it's actually closer to 6 years old, hehe...

Samsung has some good ones what I read and I am sure there are other brands that match up.

Me, I just bought what a local grocery store carried a couple years ago and it is working just fine yet. CTL 190Lx a local brand so to speak.

CRT monitors lasted me just a dash over 2 years before they went kablooie on me.

Therefore, if at all possible, get into a couple stores and eyeball out the monitors before you buy one.

Thanks, Train .

You're Welcome!

I have sen CRT monitors last many many years, we have some 15" ones at work that are over 10 years old and still are usable, unfortunately no one wants them cus they are so small of screen and take up too much desk space. little kindergarten kids don't seem to mind too much though. I just retired a 17 HP crt that was 7 years old and worked fine, I just wanted an LCD that was bigger and flat. I have also seen some not even make it past the 1 year warranty too.
    IF the color on your monitor ever gets funny check the cable first. if you have moved the pc or done anything near the connections it could be a little loose which often causes a blue or pink cast to the screen.

Thread Information