Is my CD-Drive broken?

Thread: Is my CD-Drive broken?

Is my CD-Drive broken?

First of all, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

Okay, a few days ago my little sister was interested in re-installing The Sims onto this computer. It's a family computer so we all use it for various things.

I remembered a few months ago I thought my CD-Drive was broken because it wasn't reading any CD's when I put them in, and I just didn't really care so I just left it. Now that she's interested in installing it again, I forgot about it being broken and I put The Sims CD in and it began installing. It is a two-disk installation process so the first disk installation completed and it prompted me to insert the second disk. Once I did, it just didn't read and the installation failed.

I tried to reinsert the first disk and do it again but it wouldn't work either. Whenever I enter a CD now the little light underneath it doesn't even flash, however it flashes when the drive opens. Not even music CD's are working.

I've gone into device manager and disabled and re-enabled the CD-Drive. Didn't work.
    I've uninstalled and reinstalled it twice. Still didn't work.

I don't know if this is relevent, but the first time I uninstalled and reinstalled it came up with a red X next to it so I right clicked -> Properties and in the box it said the drive was disabled, click here to enable. I clicked to enable and the wizard went through and on the last page of the wizard it said "Windows was unable to enable this device".

Is my CD-Drive broken, or is there some way I can fix it? Because it was working for a few minutes then it just stopped again. =/

Thanks in advance.

Get and use a laser cleaning cd. Most places theat sell cd and dvds carry them.

Dust builds up on the lens and it can not read the disk very well or will not read them.

And example of what look like in the link.
    http://www.forgettherest.com/media/i...s/MAXCD340.jpg

Could that be the only reason?
    I'll go out and buy it and if that doesn't work I'll repost. Thanks.

Okay, turns out I had a Laser Lens Cleaner from EBGames. I put it in and it span around for a bit, but the CD says wait for the onscreen instructions and they didn't appear (I think it's because it couldn't read the disk)

Another weird thing is, when I listen closely after the Sims CD goes in, it sounds as if it starts up but then something stops it from spinning. Then it tries to start again and after about 1 second it stops again. =/

It is trying to read it now.

Wash the cds, yes they are new, it might be all that is needed.

Warm water and soap, rinse real good.

I had to buy a cd cleaner and use it before some factory cds and dvds could be read.
    And clean the lens a second and maybe even a 3rd time.

The light doesn't even flash.. =/ It used to flash when it was reading something..

I did that, and it doesn't make that sound like it's stopping, instead it just doesn't load now.. =( It just makes a really high pitch sound a few times then stops.

Thanks for all the help so far, have you got anything else in mind that could fix it?

Make sure the cables are firmly plugged in (at both ends with the ribbon cable). If you have a spare ribbon cable it might be worth swapping it over, but otherwise it does sound like the drive is dying. There is nothing you can do except replace them, but they are very cheap these days.
    Nick.

I opened everything up and checked and everything was firmly plugged in. =(

Ah well, it looks like I'll just have to buy a little cheapy.

Thanks for all your help.

Examples: Just dodge the Sony/Nec items.
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...CD-DVD-Burners

Thread Information