[XP] Raid Recovery (0+1) (4 Drives) NVidia to Gigabyte (Hopefully)

Thread: [XP] Raid Recovery (0+1) (4 Drives) NVidia to Gigabyte (Hopefully)

Question [XP] Raid Recovery (0+1) (4 Drives) NVidia to Gigabyte (Hopefully)

I'd like to try to recover my old raid 0+1 array from a Chaintech VNF4 Ultra (Zenith) motherbard. It was a 4 drive array of 250GB drives, resulting in 500GB of usable space. hehe I know, you won't beleive it, but I had just purchased a single drive to use as a backup device of the array when I lost that motherboard. I believe the drives and the array are intact, since the motherboard went belly up, not the array. (no video on boot, no beeps)

My boot drive and data drive were not affected (I decided long ago to only give Murphy so much rope to put around my neck).

I have tried some of the demo/trial raid recovery programs. But I'm not ready to pay the same, or in most cases, more for the software than for the hardware I've replaced the old system with! Also, none of them saw all 4 drives correctly, though one did seem to indicate it could recover some of the data.

I also booted the drives in a separate box using Ubuntu and the Raid package that you can download for it. It didn't see all 4 drives either, although the bios did see them.

You konw, I didn't try boothing up with the drives paired to identify the raid 0 pair. Is that worth a try? I'm not worried about time, per se. The data was only valuable to married men.
    ---
    Take some time to ENJOY YOUR LIFE!! For sure, you'll never have another one like it!!!

Your best bet is to try and find an identical mobo.

Second choice is to find a PCI raid card that uses the identical drivers as the original mobo raid controller.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Resolved

That's where I was at, too. I've been searching Ebay and Directron and Compu-Geeks. Haven't found one. Chaintech is out of the motherboard business now. Someone at their USA distributor's office said they have no idea where to find their out-of-date stock. Soooo, hehe, I'll just have to rebuild the contents again. No biggie, more of a pain to my friends pretty much.

And, yes, I've learned my lesson: All data is important once you've lost it.

Gonna mark this resolved, unless someone re-opens it.
    ---
    Take some time to ENJOY YOUR LIFE!! For sure, you'll never have another one like it!!!

Thread Information