How to UN-network a system?

Thread: How to UN-network a system?

How to UN-network a system?

I have a very specialized software program (specific to my healthcare industry), which I installed. It needs a special unlock code which I put in, but the program gives me an error code ""this system is not authorized to run on a network". I called tech support for this software and they asked me if my computer was networked. I told them I had an I.T. guy come out to set me up for wireless internet that ran through a wireless card router(Kyocera KR1). But I think the I.T. guy also networked my two laptops somehow.

Anyway, the software tech support guy said I'd have to dis-engage my network for the software to work. So, I went into "control panel", then "Network Connections" and disabled both the 'Local Area Connection' and also the 'Wireless Network Connection'. After doing that I went back to open the software and it again says "this system is not authorized to run on a network".

What else can I do to try to disable the networked computer?

Thanks
    Desktop: Pentium 4 630 2 Gb PC3200 DDR 400Mhz RAM; ASUS P5VDC-MX motherboard (share memory of 128MB); 16XDual Layer DVD-RW; 40X-CD-RW; 400 W Apex ATX PSU; Windows XP Pro, SP 2; 40GB Maxtor ATA/133 harddrive; 300GB Maxtor SATA harddrive, 16MB buffer; 300GB external USB Seagate harddrive; 3.5" floppy drive

Laptop:
    ACER ASPIRE 5672 CORE DUO T2300 1.66GHZ / 2 GB DDR Ram/ 120GB HDD / 15.4" EXGA / DVD-RW / XP PRO / 802.11BG WIRELESS / BLUETOOTH

Open Windows Explorer. Right click on "My Network Places". From drop down menu choose "Disconnect Network Drive". Follow the prompts. Should put you back to stand alone.
    Also, you may need to rename the workgroup. The default is MSHOME. Change it to something else, say, LABPC. If no other computers join the workgroup, which they would not in this case, the software in question should see there are no other PC's in the group and therefore see it as a stand alone.
    J.
    Last edited by jseidel; May 7th, 2008 at 10:41 PM.
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    Intel Core i5 2500K, 3.30 GHz
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
    P/S: Corsair GS800
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

Quote Originally Posted by jseidel
    Open Windows Explorer. Right click on "My Network Places". From drop down menu choose "Disconnect Network Drive". Follow the prompts. Should put you back to stand alone.
    Also, you may need to rename the workgroup. The default is MSHOME. Change it to something else, say, LABPC. If no other computers join the workgroup, which they would not in this case, the software in question should see there are no other PC's in the group and therefore see it as a stand alone.
    J.
    After right clicking on "My Network Places" I get a box that says 'You have no network drives to disconnect'. What else could I try?

Thanks
    Desktop: Pentium 4 630 2 Gb PC3200 DDR 400Mhz RAM; ASUS P5VDC-MX motherboard (share memory of 128MB); 16XDual Layer DVD-RW; 40X-CD-RW; 400 W Apex ATX PSU; Windows XP Pro, SP 2; 40GB Maxtor ATA/133 harddrive; 300GB Maxtor SATA harddrive, 16MB buffer; 300GB external USB Seagate harddrive; 3.5" floppy drive

Laptop:
    ACER ASPIRE 5672 CORE DUO T2300 1.66GHZ / 2 GB DDR Ram/ 120GB HDD / 15.4" EXGA / DVD-RW / XP PRO / 802.11BG WIRELESS / BLUETOOTH

It depends on what the software is looking at to decide on whether the PC is "networked" or not. It could be looking at something as simple as whether a network adapter is present, whether or not a connection is present or active. You might have to check with the software maker to see what they think constitutes a "networked" PC.

Thread Information