Windows 2003 server, XP stations hang...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2003 server, XP stations hang...

Windows 2003 server, XP stations hang...

I have encountered a serious problem in our office and people look at me like this since:

Our office server runs under windows server 2003. a big performing PC.
    and stations use WinXP SP2.
    our program is a dos based networked data-base(works fine when with xp non-network) installed on server z: mapped drive. data sheen /data ease.
    it hangs too often in our all XPed station PCs.
    what can cause the problem?
    Please help !
    Please sit back and relax while your computer crashes and your files are being lost...

More details would be useful. If it works when not networked, then it is likely a network issue. What type of network connections are you using? If you are using TCP/IP networking, are the XP PC's using static or DHCP assigned IP addresses? What happens if you try static addresses? How often do the PC's hang, and do they eventually resume functioning or do you have to restart the application of the PC's?

Thanks for your input,
    The connections are TCP/IP. and DHCP assigned IP,(no static we didn't try any static IP yet). PCs hang every 5 to 15 minutes... and application must be restarted. no wireless is used for networking purposes only a wireless hub for internet for some laptops managers bring to office occasionally..
    We tried different solutions I changed memory priority to programs in advanced hardware...and then we deleted 'everyone' in users list...
    still to no avail.
    I'm a bit confused.
    Please sit back and relax while your computer crashes and your files are being lost...

Try a static IP address on one of the PC's to see what happens. Also, see if you can still connect to the server using Windows Explorer when the DOS application hangs.

I will try it certainly. and will be back with results...
    I wanted to add that with one of those monitoring server activity programs I saw a very big pick right at the moment a station hanged. while there was no heavy apparent network act/request by anyone..(dataease is a little demanding program...)

oh: sometimes when a PC hangs you can not even access to that z: mapped drive on server using command prompt..and after few moments it is working again....
    Last edited by moonrover; April 23rd, 2008 at 02:18 PM.

It might be time for some network traffic analysis.

Another thing is as you mentioned when my pc hanged I tried explrer and typed //server... then after a click sound my frozen application started to work again .
    although this could not be performed in every stations...
    it is strange isn't it ?

It certainly sounds like a network issue of some sort. Using Explorer to find the server again seems to have restored your connection. You probably need to find out why the connection is being lost.

sometimes when systems hang...the sweitcher starts to flash all lights...
    can it be a switch failure?

It could be a switch failure or an error of some type with the switch. If your switch has the capability of recording statistics, you might be able to track down the problem through those. Post the make and model of the switch and we'll see what capabilities it might have.

switch brand is 3com and is a 10/100 old switcher.....
    hence i don't think it can record anything.......

You could always try replacing the switch to see if that eliminates the issue. New 10/100/1000 switches are relatively inexpensive now, and you could get a speed boost as well.

Is this a new 2003 server i.e have you just replaced an older server did you check the server logs for errors?
    What the name of the DOS application your using?

The Server is new..entirely ( we built a new machine for it) and installed newest server version we could...
    Mmmmm ....server log?
    could you direct where is lit located?

Dos app name is Dataease - Data sheen ( a dos application) network version..version 5.15 ...

and jdc2000, for a new place we are gonna move to, we need to buy a 24 to 36 station switcher...what is your suggestion on that. (pls under 2000$

Quote Originally Posted by moonrover
    could you direct where is lit located?

Admin tools

Did you read the Dataease manual regarding the use of version 5x and server 2003 and setting up the software to run correctly?

DataEase support http://www.dataease.com/support/kb.php#_supp

States in this pdf 5.51 is beta software http://www.dataease.com/downloads/KBDOCS/readme551.pdf

There are a few updates for this very old version of the program [now version 7] up tp 5.17.You do relaise this is a 16bit program dont you and as such may be a cause of problems all of its own?

Upgrades to versions 6 and 7 seem resonably priced for a buisness program here at £195 and £295 repectivly

Thread Information