Can I hook up my laptop to a monitor?

Thread: Can I hook up my laptop to a monitor?

Question Can I hook up my laptop to a monitor?

Im wondering if I can take my laptop and connect it to a monitor for setting up a display. How can I go about this? I notice the laptop has an expansion port and numerous others, but I am unfamiliar with their function and I don't have their manuals. Any advice?

Thanks!
    Thank you to the gracious members of Virtual Dr for helping me for free since 2003.

You should be able to do so.
    How can I go about this?
    A good first step would be to provide some information about your laptop. You should be able to download your owner's manual from your laptop mfr's website as well.

On my laptop you simply attach a monitor to the VGA port then use [fn]-[F4] as a three-way toggle. Press it once and it switches to the external monitor, press it again for both the laptop and external monitor, press it a third time and it's back to the laptop screen only.

The laptop is a Compaq V5207NR. The monitor is probably going to change since I cannot find the power cord for the Mag LCD 780, and it's some special type. I might try my current monitor Im using on this computer. The one port on the laptop does fit the standard blue monitor plug so that's good.
    Thank you to the gracious members of Virtual Dr for helping me for free since 2003.

Here's HP's link for manuals for that laptop.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/m...97924&lang=en&

As far as your "power cord being a special type" - that should make no difference whatever since you're not plugging your monitor into your laptop for power. If you're referring to the connector on the other cord, it's probably a DVI (digital) connector:

You can get adapters that allow a DVI connector to hook up to an analog port.

#2 of the left side.

Page 19 in the pdf shows it.

Thread Information