[RESOLVED] Update or not?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Update or not?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Update or not?

Hi all,

After running the PCPITSTOP test utility on my Dell desktop, it found several drivers which were out of date (ATI driver, Broadband Ethernet driver, and SoundBlaster driver). The computer works perfectly, and it even scored in the top 4% worldwide. So, do I update the drivers, or just leave well enough alone? One of your experts constantly says “If it ain’t broke-don’t fix it”!

Thanks,

George

I always do update drivers, it is always very easy to roll back to the previous version if they do give any problems. Updating can improve both performance and reliability.
    Nick.

Prior to XP and Vista, there were no real options to roll back drivers and updating and getting a bad driver has lead a many to a clean install.

Geopla--Can you get any idea what the new drivers are supposed to fix or do better? If there is no real gain, then maybe no need to update.

Train--What did your post recommend? (Go ahead with driver updates with XP and Vista, but not earlier OS's, based on the ability to Rollback?)
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim
    Train--What did your post recommend? (Go ahead with driver updates with XP and Vista, but not earlier OS's, based on the ability to Rollback?)

That is it.

Hi guys,

Per Welshjim’s thought (a good idea) I have just finished researching the potential benefit of updating my drivers, but the results were rather limited. I was only able to determine that new drivers are available (not much help). In the case of the SoundBlaster driver, I am apparently about three (3) updates behind. Still, I have absolutely no problems with anything. For now, I think I will just leave things as they are.

As always, the feedback and suggestions from this site are absolutely awesome!

Thanks,

George

Thread Information