How to open .efw file.

Thread: How to open .efw file.

How to open .efw file.

I purchased an ebook.: TheUltimateFreshCoffeeEncyclopedia.1.321C02.efw. I unzipped it and got another file.: FreshCoffee Encyclopedia v3.exe. My computer is running on WInXP. I clicked on the said .exe file. A blank (black color) window showed up for a little while and disappear. I had also tried to open the file with Adobe Reader but it gave a message that the file was not compatible or the .exe file was damaged. I have tried for weeks as yet I failed to open, read or view the file. Any suggestion on how to open or read the .efw file. Do I need some other software to do the job. Please help.

Compressed .ZIP file renamed by CA Security Centre to have a ".efw" extension; typically applies to e-mail attachments scanned by Computer Associates (CA) antivirus software.

EFW files may be opened by changing the file extension to ".zip" and opening the file with a decompression utility, such as WinZip or Stuffit Expander.

http://www.fileinfo.net/extension/efw

Quote Originally Posted by Train
    Compressed .ZIP file renamed by CA Security Centre to have a ".efw" extension; typically applies to e-mail attachments scanned by Computer Associates (CA) antivirus software.

EFW files may be opened by changing the file extension to ".zip" and opening the file with a decompression utility, such as WinZip or Stuffit Expander.

http://www.fileinfo.net/extension/efw
    I did try with the .zip file method. I got the file.: FreshCoffee Encyclopedia v3.exe. I click on it and got the same outcome. A black screen showed up and disappeared in seconds. Many thanks to your feed back to my question.

I have another .efw file. It is a very large size coffee book file.:All About Coffee. The file name is.: All About Coffee.1.3A14.efw. I only need to click on the file and my Adobe Reader 8.1 will open up the file for reading / viewing. I really don't understand the difference btween the two .efw files.

Quote Originally Posted by AROWANA
    I did try with the .zip file method. I got the file.: FreshCoffee Encyclopedia v3.exe. I click on it and got the same outcome. A black screen showed up and disappeared in seconds. Many thanks to your feed back to my question.

I have another .efw file. It is a very large size coffee book file.:All About Coffee. The file name is.: All About Coffee.1.3A14.efw. I only need to click on the file and my Adobe Reader 8.1 will open up the file for reading / viewing. I really don't understand the difference btween the two .efw files.

Glad they open up.
    Why some things work one way and the next someway other than the first beats me. It opens so you can read it, that is the main thing.

Sounds like Windows is ignoring the file extension and using the first few characters inside the file to determine the type of file it really is. The first two characters inside an ".exe" file are:
    MZ
    The first few characters inside a PDF file are:
    %PDF

Glad they open up.
    Why some things work one way and the next someway other than the first beats me. It opens so you can read it, that is the main thing.
    I got a message from the Fresh Coffee Shop.com saying that the file is only an executable filethat runs in Windows pc. So far the condition remained the same. I still cannot understand why one .efw file (All About Coffee) worked and the other didn't (the Coffee Encyclopedia v3.exe) . Any suggestion further is welcomed. Thank you very much for your reply.

Glad they open up.
    I don't mind to send you a copy of the Coffee.efw file so you can test it out and tell me what to do. My email address is .: Removed as it can be harvested and you hit with spam . You can email me directly via email address. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr
    Sounds like Windows is ignoring the file extension and using the first few characters inside the file to determine the type of file it really is. The first two characters inside an ".exe" file are:
    MZ
    The first few characters inside a PDF file are:
    %PDF
    Thank you for your atention to my problem. I know nothing about programming but any suggestionis welcomed.

This could be nothing more than a corrupted download. Is there any chance that you can download another copy?
    Nick.

I have no experience about hacking. Thanks for telling me about this.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSparks
    This could be nothing more than a corrupted download. Is there any chance that you can download another copy?
    I received a message from the FreshCoffee.com that the new version of the Fresh Coffee Encyclopedia v3.exe file is an executable file. I am supposed to run it like a program (just load it).

It was also suggested that that I got a blank (black) screen while trying to load the .exe file because there is something strange with my computer's setup, probably a problem with the antivirus or firewall.

I was also told that the program needs internet access. If the firewall blocks it it will not run.

I have CA Firewall in the computer but I don't know how to set it to grant the program internet access while it is loaded.

Besides, I never got any message from the CA Firewall that the Fresh Coffee Encyclopedia v3.exe file had requested outgoing internet access while it was loaded.

My experience with the Firewall is that it will inform me of any request for out going internet access.

Please advise me of the effect on the CA Firewall in running the Fresh Coffee Encyclopedia v3.exe file.

Many thanks to oyu attention to my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by AROWANA
    I don't mind to send you a copy of the Coffee.efw file so you can test it out and tell me what to do. My email address is .: Removed as it can be harvested and you hit with spam . You can email me directly via email address. Thanks.
    I have no experience about hacking. Thanks for telling me about this.

Thread Information