[Pro] A required resource cannot be located

Thread: [Pro] A required resource cannot be located

[Pro] A required resource cannot be located

I've done a clean format and installed Service Pack 2. I can't install any .NET Framework version because it says either the File is corrupt or A required resource is missing.

Drillbreaker--If the following does not help, please post the exact error message. Is there no mention of name of the required resource?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
    Note that you want to be sure you have uninstalled all versions of .NET Framework before starting. (I know you did a reformat, but look in Control Panel|Add/Remove to see if any still are on the PC.) It would probably be good to download a fresh version of all the .NET Frameworks you want to install in light of the message you are getting. And disable your antivirus app before trying to install.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Here is my 1.0 installation

Here is my 1.1 installation and the second message

Here is my installation of 2.0

Here is my installation of 3.0

You may have some .NET leftovers. Try here: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;320112

Well Broni, I tried everything in that link and i still failed. If I put in my Windows XP setup cd, when it asks me to Partition, Install, and Repair, if I repair will that fix this?

Repair won't hurt.

The repair didn't help. I think I've lost some important system file that can't be recovered.

Get your WinXP CD handy, then go to Start>Run and type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes (you don't get any report from the System File Checker, it just silently replaces and corrupt or missing system files that it finds).
    Nick.

Drillbreaker raised this problem earlier when XP SP3 was being used
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=227884
    It seems SP3 was uninstalled and now XP SP2 is being used. Perhaps going back and forth between SP2 and SP3 has messed things up.
    If sfc /scannow does not help, maybe a clean install of Win XP SP2 is needed. If Drillbreaker goes that route, all personal data should be backed up first.
    One other possiblility would be for Drillbreaker to click the blue links in the three error messages offering to provide more data on the problem. This might lead to further links such as to go.microsoft.com which often contains a resonably understandable report and may even suggest a solution.
    FWIW--dotnetfx may have something to do with Visual Studio.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Thread Information