how to import pst file into outlook express - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how to import pst file into outlook express

Agreed. You do not need OE6 on the Vista PC to use Windows Mail's "Import mail from an OE6 store directory" procedure. And the OE6 folder, even though not in the Store Directory, can be imported by browsing to the location of the OE6 folder after you click "Import mail from an OE6 store directory" . Sorry I did not make that clear.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

here we go again .. i keep saying .. when i follow these instructions ...

i followed the link. here is the problem...

"On the computer running Windows Vista, do the following:

1. Open Windows Mail by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Mail.
    2. Click the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
    3. Click Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click Next.

.. when i get to this point, windows live tells me there is nothing to import altho the folder is full of DBX files.

sorry to wonder .. .but do any of you run vista? welshjim says "I have no experience with Vista or Windows Mail.'
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

zeszut--
    when i get to this point, windows live tells me there is nothing to import altho the folder is full of DBX files
    While I do not have Windows Mail or Vista, what follows should be similar to what Windows Mail offers based on jdc2000's suggested procedure. And jdc2000 seems to have Vista and Windows Mail.
    First, understand that Windows Mail is not going to automatically locate the transferred OE folder.
    When I get to the point you mention (in Outlook Express 6) I am offered two options. The default option is "Import Mail from OE6 identity". The other is "Import Mail from an OE Store Directory". I would check the latter's radio button and click Next. That offers me a Browse option so I can navigate to the location of the transferred OE folder.
    This is what jdc2000 has suggested in step 4 and 5.
    Do you not have this or something like it?
    Jim

The Outlook Express files may need to be Outlook Express 6 .dbx files. Windows Mail may not import Outlook Express 4 or 5 files. Also, you may need to make sure they don't have the Hidden or System file attributes set. If you still can't get Windows Mail to import them, there are other options. You can use Thunderbird to import the Outlook Express files, then export them using the procedure at the link below:

http://email.about.com/od/mozillathu...port_to_oe.htm

And the simplest solution of all is to Forward these messages from the WinXP PC to the Window Mail-PC. The main drawbacks are
    1) Time required if you have many messages
    2) All the messages will indicate they came from you.
    But the method should be guaranteed to work.
    Jim

Another export / backup method

http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx
    Last edited by jdc2000; March 7th, 2008 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim
    The other is "Import Mail from an OE Store Directory". I would check the latter's radio button and click Next. That offers me a Browse option so I can navigate to the location of the transferred OE folder.
    i have done this. when it opens the folder with the DBX files, it shows it as empty. even though they are there.

And the simplest solution of all is to Forward these messages from the WinXP PC to the Window Mail-PC. The main drawbacks are 1) Time required if you have many
    as there are thousands of messages … not feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000
    The Outlook Express files may need to be Outlook Express 6 .dbx files. Windows Mail may not import Outlook Express 4 or 5 files. Also, you may need to make sure they don't have the Hidden or System file attributes set. If you still can't get Windows Mail to import them, there are other options. You can use Thunderbird to import the Outlook Express files, then export them using the procedure at the link below.
    now THIS gives me an idea. i was never a big fan of thunderbird as an email client … BUT … this might be the easiest solution in looking for a local client to just store archived mail. and it might be the best since it won’t lock me into MS.

thanks all for the suggestions … will get back to you soon.
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

zeszut--
    i have done this. when it opens the folder with the DBX files, it shows it as empty. even though they are there.
    I do not know how you determined that the OE Folder is empty. Per the info in the link
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...7994f1033.mspx
    you should not open the OE folder to complete the Import. See line 5.
    "5. Click Browse, find the Outlook Express folder you copied to this computer, and then click the folder once to select it. (Do not open the folder when you select it.) "
    Conversely, how do you know the OE Folder now transferred to your Vista PC indeed contains the .dbx files?

P.S. Since you used OE 6 in the process of converting the original Outlook files to .dbx files, I would expect you have OE 6 .dbx files.
    Jim

problem solved. went to thunderbird. configured with gmail automagically. imported dbx files. set up local folders for gmail download.

why didn't i think of this ... first? lol.

thanks all for all your help and suggestions.

zeszut--I am happy for you that you have reached a good conclusion.
    I understand you have solved the problem of archiving gmail messages on your PC. Are the gmail messages the same as were in Outlook, then OE6 and which you wanted to transfer to Windows Mail? Is it correct you were not able to make the transfer to Windows Mail?
    Jim

zeszut--I am happy for you that you have reached a good conclusion.
    I understand you have solved the problem of archiving gmail messages on your PC. Are the gmail messages the same as were in Outlook, then OE6 and which you wanted to transfer to Windows Mail? Is it correct you were not able to make the transfer to Windows Mail?
    "yes" about the gmail locally archived messages being transferred from outlook to thunderbird. i didn't bother with continuing to try to use windows mail. just went to thunderbird.

Thumbs up How to import PST file into Outlook Express?

There's a simple manual trick that can help you import the PST files into Outlook Express. I know I'm making a very-very late reply here, but I've found something really very useful for this matter. If any of you is looking for a simple way to import PST file into Outlook Express, I can share a blog post here: How to Import PST to Outlook Express using a Manual Trick?

Ich hoffe, ware dies sinnvoll sein.

Thanks.

Thread Information