how to import pst file into outlook express - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how to import pst file into outlook express

just checked ... looks like gmail can be configured with windows mail. at least from gmail's site.

now to just import my messages into windows mail from OE.

the only problem seems to be pointing OE (version 4) to the folders with the files output from outlook itself.

closer .. and closer.
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

zeszut--Maybe I am missing something. Your first post asked how to import Outlook messages into OE on a Vista PC. In Post #2 I suggested how to do that.
    Now, in your last two posts, you are asking how to import Outlook Express messages into Windows Mail on that new PC. Importing OE messages should be easy.
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...7994f1033.mspx
    http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2...-windows-mail/
    If I have misunderstood, forgive me.
    P.S.
    the only problem seems to be pointing OE (version 4) to the folders with the files output from outlook itself.
    Is that what you meant to say? That again mixes OE with Outlook.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Quote Originally Posted by Tuttle
    Outlook Express version numbering matched IE version numbering fairly closely. It sounds like Outlook 98 managed to install OE4 (it used it for NNTP), even though it failed to install itself. That sounds... horribly insecure and unsupported. Run Windows Mail instead.
    that is the reason why i now want to use windows mail.

however, i can't see how to direct the OE (version 4) i have on my pc to the 98>OE data files i created on my work pc. there is a tab in later OE versions about maintanance / store files, but none in the version 4 that is on my pc now.

if i could do that, i could follow your links and move the data into windows mail.
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

zeszut--Using the instructions for WinXP (and Notes at the bottom) in http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...7994f1033.mspx what is it you cannot do?
    If you cannot find the Outlook Express folder because it is in a different place, run a Search for Outlook Express, or maybe even simpler, run the Search for *.dbx.
    Once you find the Outlook Express folder you will have to copy to an external medium. A flash drive will work if the OE folder is small enough to fit or to a CD and then import from the external medium to Windows Mail.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim
    zeszut--Using the instructions for WinXP (and Notes at the bottom) in http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...7994f1033.mspx what is it you cannot do?
    If you cannot find the Outlook Express folder because it is in a different place, run a Search for Outlook Express, or maybe even simpler, run the Search for *.dbx.
    Once you find the Outlook Express folder you will have to copy to an external medium. A flash drive will work if the OE folder is small enough to fit or to a CD and then import from the external medium to Windows Mail.
    i have the DBX files that i created. what i need is to have those files associated with OE. only then can windows mail find them when i tell it to import from OE. however, i can find no option inside OE (version 4) to "link" it to an existing folder of DBX files. later versions of OE have this option under the MAINTENANCE tab but this earlier version of OE does not.

i searched the pc for DBX files (think that OE would have set up blank ones already), but the only ones i find are the ones i created.

tonight i'll try finding just where OE lives in vista. maybe i can find the DBX files there.

i suspect that the search function only searches document folders. there is so much of VISTA that i find frustrating. this might be one of them.

zeszut--
    i have the DBX files that i created. what i need is to have those files associated with OE
    Forgive me. I am totally mystified as to what files, located where you are trying to move to where.
    I thought I understood your first post, but now...
    Jim

What happens when you start OE and click File, Import? You should be able to point OE to where you have the .dbx files saved.

I'm sure I'm missing something again here, but why not just make Windows Mail import the Outlook 98 PST file? That is your original mail store, right?
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim
    zeszut-- Forgive me. I am totally mystified as to what files, located where you are trying to move to where. I thought I understood your first post, but now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuttle
    I'm sure I'm missing something again here, but why not just make Windows Mail import the Outlook 98 PST file? That is your original mail store, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000
    What happens when you start OE and click File, Import? You should be able to point OE to where you have the .dbx files saved.
    ok. let me try again. it IS confusing. even to me.

i have been using outlook 98 in xp. just to dl messages from gmail for permanent local storage.

i tried to install outlook 98 on vista. installation failed. but it seems to have installed OE version 4 during the install.

when i ran OE and tried to import outlook 98's PST file, nothing showed up because OE asks which email client to import from ... not which files. and since outlook 98 never completely installed, there is no client to point to.

i took the PST file to work. pointed outlook 98 at work to it. opened a later version of OE and imported the PST messages. i took those DBX files home.

i opened OE at home. but there is no option in this earlier version to direct the client to a folder containing those DBX files.

1) i never knew that i could "import" DBX file data directly, but i can try that.
    2) i never knew that i could import files into windows mail from a PST file directly (without outlook installed). i'll try that also.

zeszut--I now understand you have an OE folder (containing.dbx folders) on one PC--perhaps running WinXP--which you want to transfer to a Vista PC, specifically to the Windows Mail program (not OE4) which came with your Vista PC. The OE folder on the old PE may or may not be an "OE4" folder, but I do not think it matters. (I suspect OE4 folders act the same as OE6 folders and you may indeed have an "OE6" folder now as a result of transferring the .pst files to OE on the old PC.)
    Try these instructions
    Although the instructions are written for transferring from a WinXP PC, I do not think that is pertinent if the old PC has some other OS. The transfer from any old PC should be the same. I understand you know where the OE folder is on the old PC even if it is not in the normal OE Store Folder.
    The key is to transfer the OE folder to a convenient location on the Vista PC. You would do that by first transferring the OE folder to an external drive (such as a USB flash drive or a CD). Then transfer the OE folder on the external drive to a convenient location on the Vista PC. Then you can use Windows Mail's Import function to transfer the OE folder into the Windows Mail store folder. I think you can use Windows Mail's "Import mail from an OE6 store directory" procedure to transfer the OE folder.
    The above assumes you have Windows Mail on the Vista PC. If you only have OE4 on the Vista PC (because your installation of OE4 wiped Windows Mail) someone else will have to help you with a procedure to reinstall Windows Mail on the Vista PC before you undertake the above procedure for transferring the OE folder. I see no future in keeping the OE4 program on the Vista PC, although you can probably transfer whatever OE messages it contains to Windows Mail using the Windows Mail Import procedure. That should be simple since those messages are already on the Vista PC's hard drive.
    As mentioned, if it is necessary to reinstall Windows Mail on the Vista PC, and you need help to do it, someone with experience with Vista and reinstalling the Windows Mail program (which I am sure is on the Vista CD you hopefully have) is going to have to help you. I have no experience with Vista or Windows Mail. It is possible to download Windows Live Mail (which is the successor to Windows Mail), but I believe it is still beta, so probably best to stick with Windows Mail.
    Good luck!!
    P.S.--
    i never knew that i could import files into windows mail from a PST file directly (without outlook installed).
    I do not think you can do that. You have to use the conversion process (from .pst to .dbx) covered in Post #2, which you have already done.
    Last edited by Welshjim; March 6th, 2008 at 02:48 PM.
    Jim

unfortunately, welshjim, you're confusing the situation.

what i had on my XP system was outlook 98. on the new VISTA pc i really only have windows mail. the question is, in effect, now how to import outlook 98's PST data into windows mail.

windows mail was never wiped out. it's there now.

outlook 98 could not be installed on VISTA. what happened was that it installed OE v 4 and then crashed.

the OE DBX files were created on my work XP machine from my PST file using outlook 98 and exporting that data to OE v 6 there.

so .. i have on my home pc ... an outlook 98 PST file and a set of OE v 6 DBX files (identical message data in each). i'm looking for a way for windows mail to import them without having either outlook 98 or OE v 6 installed. though OE v 4 IS installed on the VISTA machine but it does not have the DBX files associated with it.

that is my main problem now. how to direct OE v 4 to a set of DBX files. if i can do that, windows mail can import that data.

Link with step by step instructions on how to import OE6 mail into Windows Mail:

i followed the link. here is the problem...

"On the computer running Windows Vista, do the following:

1. Open Windows Mail by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Mail.
    2. Click the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
    3. Click Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click Next.

.. there will be no OE6 ... since it isn't running on the VISTA machine.

only OE4 is there ... and that isn't one of the choices.

zeszut--
    i have on my home pc... a set of OE v 6 DBX files
    i'm looking for a way for windows mail to import them
    Assuming the "home PC" is the WinXP and that the OE v 6 DBX files are inside an OE folder (including a folders.dbx folder), the link jdc2000 and I have provided in Posts #25 and 27 tells you how to do that. If the "home PC" is the Vista PC, then you already have made the transfer and you need only to Import the OE folder into Windows Mail as that link instructs. If the DBX files are not inside an OE folder (or the folder.dbx folder is missing), I am not sure the Import will work, but you have nothing to lose by trying. (See the third bullet under Notes in the link provided.) If no OE folder, you could try creating one then putting the individual .dbx files in it, and see if Windows Mail will import the newly created OE folder.
    Is there some reason you do not use the info in that link?

how to direct OE v 4 to a set of DBX files
    I do not understand why you want to do that, and it is not what you say you want to do per the quotes above. It has nothing to do with transferring the OE6 folder to Windows Mail.
    But if you want to do it, and assuming the OE4 program is working, after the OE6 files are transferred to the Vista PC, you should be able to Import the OE6 files using the OE4 Import function if it exists (I never used OE4). At worst you could just drag and drop the OE6 files into the OE4 Store Folder and see if that does what you want.
    Jim

Yoo do not OE6 on the Vista PC, all you need is a folder containing the OE6 .dbx files. You browse to that folder during the import process:

On the computer running Windows Vista, do the following:
    1. Open Windows Mail by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Mail.

2. Click the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.

3. Click Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click Next.

4. Make sure Import mail from an OE6 store directory is selected, and then click OK.

5. Click Browse, find the Outlook Express folder you copied to this computer, and then click the folder once to select it. (Do not open the folder when you select it.)

6. Click Select Folder, and then click Next.

7. Click All folders to import all the folders, or click Selected folders and select which message folders you want to import, and then click Next.

8. Click Finish.

Thread Information