how to import pst file into outlook express
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to import pst file into outlook express

how to import pst file into outlook express

shortened story ...

old pc was running xp with outlook 98. old pc died.

new pc runs vista. outlook 98 will not install without errors. outlook 98 will not run after installation so i cannot associate the PST file with it.

question ...

i DO have both the PST & WAB backup files from the old xp pc. how can i get the data from these files into outlook express on the vista pc? if i use the IMPORT function in OE, nothing shows up. i assume because outlook 98 itself never fully installed in order to associate this PST file with a client.

thanks in advance.
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

zeszut--This is not an easy problem. .PST files cannot be imported directly into OE. But are you sure you have OE on the Vista PC?
    Vista comes with one of two new email applications (Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail) but not OE. However instructions for importing Outlook files into OE may still work with the new applications.
    One procedure is
    "Outlook Express cannot import a pure PST file. So you need to open PST in Outlook. Then import to OE.
    If you do not have Outlook, use a friend's computer which has both Outlook and Outlook Express. Import PST into Outlook. Then import emails from Outlook to Outlook Express. Copy the entire folder where Outlook Express DBX files lie to your computer. Then import the DBX files."
    Other procedures
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...k+%2epst+files

Unless many emails are involved it might be simplest to Forward (email) the old Outlook emails to the new Vista PC.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

ty welshjim.

that's an idea. yes vista comes with OE. and i have outlook at work. so i guess i could take the PST files to work and import/export the data thru outlook there. and then bring the OE files home.

makes sense.
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

zeszut--Croeso! Today is St. David's Day. I wish you a happy one.
    Jim

Vista comes with Windows Mail, not Outlook Express. And (at least in SP1, and I assume in the original release too) I'm seeing File | Import | Messages | Microsoft Outlook available.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

not to be contrary, tuttle, i'm looking at the window containing OE .. with the folders on the left, etc. so i'll go ahead and take welshjim's advice tomorrow.

i have vista home premium .. don't know if that makes a difference.

zeszut - if you open your email program and click on Help->About->does it really say Outlook Express? Or does it say Windows Mail?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

says ... outlook express version 4.72.2106.4

And that's on a pc with the operating system called VISTA?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

R-click My computer and select Properties.
    Ont he general tab, what does it say under SYSTEM?

Outlook Express version numbering matched IE version numbering fairly closely. It sounds like Outlook 98 managed to install OE4 (it used it for NNTP), even though it failed to install itself. That sounds... horribly insecure and unsupported.

Run Windows Mail instead.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

ah. ic.

i really don't use it to send/receive mail. i use gmail for that. i only use it to archive my messages onto my pc.

but i'll look for windows mail instead. see if that works.

unless someone has another sugggestion for archiving gmail messages?

just to keep you all informed ... i brought my PST file to work and used outlook here to convert the messages to DBX files used by OE. i could use that OE at home to convert them again to comma separated files, i guess. in case i have to use yet a different email client at home.

all of this brou-ha-ha is so that i don't loose these. never know when i might need some info in them. and that i have someway of archiving gmail messages.

Jim

ty welsh, but that still leaves the archives on gmail. i'd rather have them on my pc.

well, i'm home. ran windows mail. the question now ... how do i re-direct OE to my new folders (created at work this morning). so i can then import them into windows mail?

and .. more importantly .. can i use windows mail as a client with gmail?

Thread Information