How do i do this ?

Thread: How do i do this ?

How do i do this ?

I have a PC & want to get a Laptop also.
    My Dell PC with Windows XP Pro is hooked up to Verizon Broadband.
    What would i need to get the new Laptop to also go online at the same time ?
    Also would the Laptop be able to access the files in the Dell PC ?
    Also which Laptop would you reccomend
    Dell or HP ?
    Lenovo Ideapad
    S210
    Pentium CPU 2127U
    1.90 GHz
    4.0 GB. Memory
    64 bit system
    Windows 10

Thank's for your help in advance.

Depends on what you use to access Verizon (never heard of them, so you are obviously in the States). Presumably they have given you an ADSL modem - if that's the case, you will probably need to get a wireless router. Your existing PC can connect via ethernet (wired) to the router, then your laptop could connect via wireless. Both machines would be able to access internet at the same time.

You can configure both machine to be part of the same WORKGROUP (i.e. HOME), then create shares on your folders so that the other machine can access said folders.

I prefer Dells but that's my own preference. If you have an existing Dell, may be best to stick with what you know. Unless your desktop is years old, a lot of the software provided by Dell (for instance, DVD burning software) will be the same.

TEk

Be aware that if you get a computer with Vista, then networking it with XP can be a nightmare - I'm going through it myself at the moment But with a router both computers will be able to access the Internet with no problem at all.
    Nick.

Check out that modem Verison gave you, a lot of then now have a router in them already and all you need is a switch.

If ipconfig comes up with a private IP number, it more than likely has the built in NAT.

One way of protecting people from themselves.

This is quite easy. Just purachase a wireless router like a Belkin Wireless

Then you would plug an ethernet cable from you adsl/cable modem into the back of the Belkin router- they are pretty easy to set up. You do this with your laptop plug directly into the router for setting it up, once done you can then go wireless.

Remember to apply at least WPA2 security and use MAC address control. Mac Address Control is the ability to set up a list of clients that you want to allow or deny access to the wireless network.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrain
    use MAC address control. .
    Mac address blocking is not intended as a security feature nor does it provide any additional layer of protection as MAC addresses can be spoofed.

Quote Originally Posted by 104456
    Mac address blocking is not intended as a security feature nor does it provide any additional layer of protection as MAC addresses can be spoofed.
    About 3 seconds is all it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Train
    About 3 seconds is all it takes.
    Mac address blocking is not intended as a security feature? If you limit your router to only allow your PC mac address access, thats called securing your network. Its an extra level of security that stops random neighbours from hopping onto you network wep/wpa/wpa2 have all been successfully hacked but this doesn't mean we should just abandon all security features of a router bacause they can be bi-passed....

Then it all needs to be brought out in the same post. So the party is well informed.

Thread Information