[RESOLVED] [XP] No Boot PC

Thread: [RESOLVED] [XP] No Boot PC

Resolved [RESOLVED] [XP] No Boot PC

When button is pressed PC case and CPU fans spin up, (CPU fan runs very fast and noisily) CD Drive lights and draw can be opened. PC does not post or display anything on screen. Does not give any 'beeps' either.Problem seems to be intermitent as will some times boot OK but then crashes and reboots with same symptoms. One time when not booting opened CD draw and PC booted straight away. Then tried booting without power attached to CD drive suspecting faulty drive but same problem. Tried different PSU but again same problem. Also tried reseating RAM. PC has onboard graphics and no additional cards attached to mobo. Suspect either faulty mobo or cpu - any suggestions?

As always thank you in advance for all and any help and advice.
    Last edited by tpuk57; February 7th, 2008 at 06:50 PM.

What brand is the PSU used? And the replacement? Is this a store-bought PC or self built? It could also be the graphics card.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Machine is an ACER - AcerPower F1 with 1Gb ram
    Original PSU is a FSP 200w and tried a Critical Components Workshop 245w in place. Graphics card is onboard.

The power button on the case could be going south.

Try pressing it and holding it in an extra second or two.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Tried holding the power button in as suggested still no good.

Fiddled arond some more and removed ribbon cable and power from cd drive and......

it started, allowed me to log in briefly then fell over again. Restarted let me log in then fell over and wouldn't restart.

Removed memory tried rebooting - no difference.

Confused as removing power from cd drive made it start thought it was a power issue.

Also doesnt seem to matter if its warm or cold so not sure itf its heat related - may try reseating processor.

Still looking for suggestions - will try anything.

If you are getting the same problem after trying a different PSU then it's most likely to be a failing motherboard.
    Nick.

Think you could be right, will still try reseating cpu nothing to loose.

Very odd, shame there is no other way to test mobo

Try reseating the hard drive power cable. Unplug and reconnect a couple of times.

Have unplugged and reconnected so many cables so many times I'm in danger of getting RSI!

Think it may be the mobo, did get it to boot up today after I'd reseated the CPU and managed to get into the bios - checked the PC Health status - CPU temp seemed OK at 37degrees - then PC stopped responding keyboard wouldn't respond.

Am now looking around for a new mobo.

Changed mother board and all seems well except case fan is very noisey - to the point of drowning out TV but will make seperate post.

Thanks for help and suggestions.

TP

Thread Information