Please help: Windows Installer Pop Up

Thread: Please help: Windows Installer Pop Up

Question Please help: Windows Installer Pop Up

Hello to everyone on the forum,

I have an old HP Pavilion Media Center desktop running Windows XP with SP3..The desktop came with a trial version of Microsoft office 2003..I recently tried installing a legit copy of Microsoft Works Suite 2002 and then eventually deleted it from my computer..Now every time I open Internet Explorer 8, I get a Windows Installer pop up that says trying to install Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003..I click cancel, as it pops up a few times and eventually stops..It has become quite annoying and I was hoping someone could help me with this situation.

Also, if it helps any..The last box says Installation Error:File Not Found - a required installation file SKU112.CAB could not be found..If anything, since Microsoft Office 2003 is only a trial version for 60 days..I would like to delete it completely from my computer and properly install the legit copy of Microsoft Works Suite 2002.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..Thanking everyone in advance for their time and patience..Have a great day everyone.

PS Also, I've noticed that every time I open up Internet Explorer 8 I get a little yellow triangle located at the bottom left hand corner of the screen which reads error on page..I never had this issue before?..Again any help would be greatly appreciated..Thanking everyone once again in advance for their time and patience.

Does Office 2003 appear in Add/Remove Programs? If so, or if there is a Start menu item to uninstall it, use one of those 2 options.

Hi jdc2000,

First off, I would like to thank you for your time and patience with regards to helping me with my computer problem..It's greatly appreciated..Also, without trying to make things more complicated for you..I just wanted to give you a heads up, that my computer skills are average at best..So, I apologize for any inconvenience that I may cause you while we work through this process together.

With regards to your questions, yes Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 does appear in the Add or Remove Programs..However, there is also Microsoft Office 2003 Edition 60 Days Trial Welcome Tour, Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In and Microsoft Works..Do I need to delete all these programs or should I only delete Microsoft Standard Edition 2003?..Once again your time and patience is greatly appreciated..Take care and have a great day.

If you are not going to use Microsoft Office 2003, then I would remove all of the items in the following order:

Microsoft Works
    Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In
    Microsoft Office 2003 Standard Edition
    Microsoft Office 2003 60 Day Trial

Then, try installing Microsoft Works again. If you have issues with any of this, you may need either the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility, or Revo Uninstaller to get rid of remnants of these items.

On your Internet Explorer error, what information do you get if you click on the error indicator?

The IE8 is no longer being patched, so some sites are dropping support for it. IE8 doesn't support all the new web standards either. You should really use something like Firefox or Google Chrome if you are going to continue using XP.

You can test IE8 here:
    http://www.acidtests.org/
    http://html5test.com/

Hi jdc2000,

Thanks for getting back to me with the information..It's greatly appreciated..I will remove all the items in the order that you mentioned and re-install my legit copy of Microsoft Works 2002..I will get back to you and let you know how everything worked out.

With regards to the Internet Explorer 8 error, that I get every time I open up Internet Explorer..I clicked on the error indicator like you mentioned and I received the following message:

Errors on this webpage might cause it to work incorrectly
    To see this message in the future, double-click the warning icon on the status bar

Invalid procedure call or argument
    www.google.ca/ Line:5
    Code:0 Char:13
    URI:https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl

Hi Midknyte,

Thank you for the information..It's greatly appreciated..I used the link: http://html5test.com/ to test IE8 and the results came up with a score of 509 points out of 555 points..Just out of curiousity, would I be able to fix the areas that don't have the green check marks and have red x's beside them?..I aoplogize if this is a silly question but unfortunately my computer skills are average at best..Thanks once again..Take care and have a great day.

test IE8 and the results came up with a score of 509 points out of 555 points
    Something is wrong there. IE8 on XP only gets a 43. Google Chrome 36 gets a 509.

Just out of curiousity, would I be able to fix the areas that don't have the green check marks and have red x's beside them?
    No. The problems are with the core of the browser itself. Like I said, IE8 is no longer being updated to add support for new features/standards.

You are using Firefox 31.0 on Windows 7 for 477. And IE 11 is 376
    Anyway what I got.

Definitely a error on reading IE 8 on XP.

Something is wrong there. IE8 on XP only gets a 43. Google Chrome 36 gets a 509.

My mistake Midknyte, you are correct..I am using Google chrome 36 as my internet browser for Internet Explorer 8..I have it set up as my home page in Internet Explorer 8..However, I also have Google chrome seperately installled on my computer and use it most often for my internet browsing..I'm not sure if maybe this is causing some sort of conflict between the two..I was asked to set Google chrome as my defualt broswer but I haven't done that yet..Not sure if maybe I should?

Thank you once again for your time and patience..Take care and have a great day.
    Last edited by Nacster; August 3rd, 2014 at 06:57 AM.

.I am using Google chrome 36 as my internet browser for Internet Explorer 8
    I think you mean you are using Chrome as your browser, not for Internet Explorer 8.

I was asked to set Google chrome as my defualt broswer but I haven't done that yet..Not sure if maybe I should?
    Yes, you should set it as your default browser for the reasons I stated earlier. I wouldn't use IE8 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    You are using Firefox 31.0 on Windows 7 for 477. And IE 11 is 376
    Anyway what I got.

Definitely a error on reading IE 8 on XP.
    Hi Train,

Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated..However, I'm pretty sure that I'm not running Windows 7 or Firefox..I have Windows XP running on my desktop, with Internet Explorer 8 SP3..I have Google Chrome on my home page of Internet Explorer 8 and I use it as my browser from time to time, when I'm using Internet Explorer 8..I've also downloaded Google Chrome on my desktop as well (since Microsoft stop supporting Windows XP) and I usually use that as my main internet web browser..I'm wondering if maybe this is causing some sort of issue with my computer?

I'm not sure if maybe this is causing some sort of conflict between the two
    No. Google Chrome doesn't care what default homepage you use in IE.

Like I mentioned before, IE8 lacks support for a lot of new web standards (That's why I told you to run the tests). That would cause IE errors on certain sites that use those new web standards. I wouldn't use IE8 anymore unless you have a very specific reason.

Thread Information