[RESOLVED] [Home] MS Paint - Clear history?

Thread: [RESOLVED] [Home] MS Paint - Clear history?

Resolved [RESOLVED] [Home] MS Paint - Clear history?

Hi, I've got version 5.1 of Microsoft Paint and I'm trying to clear the history / recent files list in the File menu. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so, how it's done?

I've seen a tool on the internet (File Wipe) that says it can clear the MS Paint recent files list but I'm not sure if it's a safe download so thought I'd see if there was another way first.

Chris

Chris,
    MS Paint keeps a list of recent used files in the registry.
    If you only want to clear the recent file list in MS Paint and you are comfortable editing the registry, delete the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint\Recent File List

Or use attached txt file. (rename to NoMRUPaint.reg)
    Close MS Paint and doubleclick NoMRUPaint.reg to import into the registry.
    Your recent file list will be empty again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Entries Will Shove Those Out of Sight?

I'm afraid to do anything involving the Registry. If we just wait until we have new entries, won't they go on top, and these we'd like to delete will at least be out of sight?

Yes, it only keeps track of a certain number and bounces older ones out. Ccleaner will clean them all out automatically...

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks.

I've marked this Keep As New, with the cCleaner link. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by DeP View Post
    Chris,
    MS Paint keeps a list of recent used files in the registry.
    If you only want to clear the recent file list in MS Paint and you are comfortable editing the registry, delete the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint\Recent File List
    Yes but also no, at least not in Win7. I can see these items in the start menu. They are in a drop-down (or drop-right) next to the Paint icon as recent items. Upon R-click there is an option to "remove from this list", however every time a new one replaces the previous one. I have checked "C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items" but these items are not there. These items are no longer on this computer.

To clarify: the 10 items that are visible both in start menu & from withing pbrush are indeed the ones in the registry, however when removed (one by one) the list is re-populated from some other source.

Where else could they be populating from?

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    Yes... Ccleaner will clean them all out automatically...
    Ccleaner was effective, but still curious if anyone can find where they populate from.

My guess is that it's populated from the one registry entry but shows a max of 10 only so when you have more than 10 and when one is deleted another takes it's place until they are all gone. Just a guess because I don't use paint enough to fill up 5 last used let alone 10 in many months to be able to have a look and see what's there and I use CCleaner every day anyway.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Are you saying that the list is repopulated without ever opening Paint again? If that is the case, then some other software program may be doing the repopulating. If you open Paint, it may repopulate from wherever Microsoft has it look for files.

Many programs have a list of MRU files, in case you want to reopen a file. It seems to me that the function is programmed in, along with the reg key. Why is that a problem? The OP, BTW, posted 2 years ago.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Thread Information