[RESOLVED] SIM PIN code number?

Thread: [RESOLVED] SIM PIN code number?

Resolved [RESOLVED] SIM PIN code number?

I am the owner of a Motorola Razr V3. This is my first cell phone, so please bear with my ignorance. I am trying to hook the phone to my computer via Bluetooth, and can't because I don't know my SIM PIN #. I have the SIM card from AT&T. It has three numbers on it: the SKU#, UPC#, and ICCID#. I assume it's not the UPC#, so is it one of the other two? The AT&T page is not vague about this; they just don't recognize the question. I found 5 pages of questions about how to lock and unlock, set and reset, etc. the various passwords, but nothing about how to find out my SIM Pin at the beginning of the process. Any help would be appreciated.
    ASUS A8N5X, Athlon 64 4000+
    1024 MB RAM, WinXP Media Center

Asus P4 S533, P4 2.0 GHz
    1536 MB RAM, WinXP SP2

The SIM card has 2 security codes: the PIN and PIN2. Your phone asks for the PIN every time you turn it on - that's the basic authentication for using the card and associated services. PIN2 is required by some advanced features of the phone, such as call barring or fixed dialling list. The card gets locked after 3 consecutive attempts to use the wrong PIN; it then asks for the PUK code, to unlock the card. Enter the wrong PUK 10 times and the card is fried. There's a PUK2 corresponding to the PIN2 as well. Your phone operator should have given you at least the PIN and PUK when you got the SIM card. Many operators default the PIN to 1234.

Now, Bluetooth is an entirely different story. When you try to pair two devices - a PC and a phone, for instance - Bluetooth asks you to enter a common code on both devices. For instance, if you initiate the pairing from the PC, it will ask you to type in a PIN code, any code you want. Then, the phone will say "dude, this other device is trying to pair with me, if you want to accept enter the PIN" at which you will type in the same PIN code. After this initial pairing, both devices will remember each other and accept connections from one another without asking for any code.

Bluetooth can't read your SIM card's PIN code, nor can it use it in any way. From what you're explaining, my guess is that you're stuck at the Bluetooth pairing sequence Just pick a number and enter it in both devices. Check with the phone manual if there is a preset number or not. Bluetooth headsets have a preset PIN for pairing with other devices, since they don't have a keypad to select your own.
    Hammer owner, will fix computers free of charge.

Puterfixer, your input was clear and concise, and it achieved the results. Thank you very much for taking to time to compose your detailed and useful answer. I will mark this resolved. Thanks again. I guess they need to make a law forbidding anyone my age from trying to configure more than one electronic device in a single weekend.

Asus P4 S533, P4 2.0 GHz
    1536 MB RAM, WinXP SP2

Glad to hear it helped! If there's a law to be adopted, then it's for people writing instruction manuals; sometimes they assume too much about people's experience, and aren't concise enough. I'm sure there's a least a handful of people who wondered why is the phone asking for their ATM card PIN code.

I take most questions as opportunities to throw in more details on the subject so people also understand why something is happening. Giving them the bare, straight solution with no explanation also solves the problem, but it's just a missed opportunity to learn.
    Hammer owner, will fix computers free of charge.

Well done. Thanks again.

Asus P4 S533, P4 2.0 GHz
    1536 MB RAM, WinXP SP2

Thread Information