Symantec "necessary file not loaded" error

Thread: Symantec "necessary file not loaded" error

Symantec "necessary file not loaded" error

My Norton AntiVirus expired recently, so instead of renewing, I upgraded to the 2008 version after removing the old version with Windows (XP Professional) Add/Remove programs. The installation seemed to go well, but ended with the message "Error: A necessary file could not be loaded (1002,1) after installing a Norton 2008 program." I followed the instruction to download and run SymFix_1002-1.exe then restarted my computer. The error message came up again when Norton checked for connectivity at startup. DH and I both have gone through the remove/reinstall process again and still get the message on startup.

Symantec's "What if this didn't work?" link takes me to the Norton Removal Tool. I don't want to use that as it will also remove Norton SystemWorks, Norton Ghost, and pcAnywhere.

Everything *seems* to work: I was able to run Live Update and Scan.

Do I really have a problem? Can I fix it without removing ALL the Norton products? Will I have problems if I ignore the message?

Thanks!
    Penny in San Diego

Tried both of these Google searches:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...22&btnG=Search

and got zero hits on both.

Are you sure the "necessary file not loaded" is the exact error message?

I shortened the message in the message title, but quoted it exactly in the body: "Error: A necessary file could not be loaded (1002,1) after installing a Norton 2008 program." Sorry for any confusion that caused.

Justin's blog comes up on a google search on "A necessary file could not be loaded (1002,1)" - his problem was NIS not NAV - we do have multiple users on this computer. I'll have to see if there's an additional installation of the old NAV.

Penny in San Diego
    Last edited by PennyISD; February 3rd, 2008 at 07:19 PM.

I still haven't found the source of the problem, but as I stated to begin with: everything seems to work just fine. I have been able to run Live Update and Scan without any problems. The firewall is up, everything is noted as "Secure", all email is scanned. So, I'll ignore the error for the time being. Unless someone knows a reason I should do more.
    Thanks!
    Penny in San Diego

Thread Information