[XP] RAM problem

Thread: [XP] RAM problem

[XP] RAM problem

Hi - i am having a problem with my system and hope someone can help.
    I had an Asus Skt AM2 motherboard with an Athlon x2 4200 and 2Gb OCZ ram ( 2 x 1Gb sticks). It ran perfectly. I then added another identical 2Gb (2 x 1Gb) of ram and system wouldn't boot at all. Sometimes it would get to the BIOS - other times nothing at all.
    I figured it was a motherboard problem as i tested all 4 sticks in another machine and all were perfect.
    I bit the bullet and bought a lovely new Gigabyte motherboard (GA-M57 SLI-54) and it runs perfectly with any 2 of the sticks of ram but i just get the dram error beep code as soon as i add all 4 sticks.
    I can't believe both motherboards are faulty and i know all 4 sticks ram are fine - can anyone help.

BTW - ram is OCZ Platinum 2P800 R22GK

Many thanks in advance - ian

I've recently seen a thread on another site about this same issue. The member downloaded a MS Hotfix and his troubles went away...Be darn if I can remember which site I was on at the time but will keep an eye out.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Hi - Many thanks for your quick reply - would an MS hotfix help if i cant get near to loading Windows. I haven't a clue. I thought it may be a BIOS issue but the motherboard is supposed to support up to 16Gb DDR2.
    Best wishes - Ian

I think this can be caused by a voltage issue. Go into the BIOS Setup and see if it will allow you to increase the RAM voltage by a fraction.
    Nick.

I agree with voltage issue or the sticks are just not quite close enough in tolerances.

I had almost the same problems with my desktop, Four x 1 gig sticks of Corsair xms. I had to increase the ram voltage a little and now it seems fine. Vista rips with the added ram. The computer booted and ran but the ram timmings slowed down and it actually slowed my system down a bit. I increased the voltage and tightened up the timmings.
    Happiness is a journey, not a destination. So work like you don't need money, Ride like you've never crashed, and dance like no one's watching!!!!!

Thread Information