Stop error 0x000000A1 in W2K

Thread: Stop error 0x000000A1 in W2K

Stop error 0x000000A1 in W2K

I am trying to fix a friends PC. It got a error msg. about a bad SYSTEMced file and I found a solution in this forum. The fix was to go into the Recovery Console and "copy C:\winnt\repair\system c:\winnt\system32\config.
    That worked and W2K booted up OK but it appears that I now have to reload the drivers for the Onboard devices on the motherboard. After searching high and low for the motherboard CD and not being able to find it, I figured I could go the the Mfg. web site and download the driver files. Before I could do so, my friend restarted the machine and it now is getting "Stop: 0x000000A1 Inconsistency detected in the PCI Bus drivers internal structures".
    I searched this forum and the MS website but can't find a solution or any reference to this error. And I can't get into the Recovery Console because it is now asking for the Administrator password (which it didn't do before). Tried every password I could think of, but no luck.
    Here's what I think my options are at this point:
    1. Ask here if anyone knows why the Recovery Console is asking for a password and what the password might be or if there's another solution for the A1 stop error. And will redoing the copy get it up and running so that I can load the Onboard drivers.
    2. Move the hard drive to a slave on another W2K PC and try copying the repair files. And backing up all of the data files.
    3. Re-install W2K.
    Any helpful suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Terry

Try just pressing Enter when the RC asks for a password. If you still can't get in, then I think you may need to do an over-the-top re-install of Windows 2000 here. Boot up with the Win2000 CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by pressing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP4, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall.

Rescue a Windows 2000 installation with an in-place upgrade
    Nick.

Thanks, SuperSparks. I forgot about that option (don't have this sort of problem very often, thank goodness!). I'll be giving that a try ASAP.

PS: My friend couldn't find the key to his locked machine, so I would have to do some serious damage in order to remove the hard drive. Got him still looking for it, just in case.

Resolved

Well, the in-place upgrade worked really well. Thanks again for the heads-up, SuperSparks.

However, I'm having a problem with Windows Update. It did SP4 and a few of the latest Hotfixes, but when I run it now, it gets and error on the web page (error code 0x80070424). I've found some information and fixes about this in the Windows Update Newsgroup, so I'll be giving that a try.

Terry
    Last edited by TerryMcB; January 9th, 2008 at 08:16 PM.

See if the fix outlined here cures the problem:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...1667fd&m=1&p=1
    Nick.

Thread Information