EXIF Camera Files ???

Thread: EXIF Camera Files ???

EXIF Camera Files ???

I used my Sisters new Canon SD850 and I took her SD card out and loaded a few of my Jpg pictures via a card reader.computer that I took with my Canon G-6 Digital camera.

When I tried to view my pictures on her camera,it stated that ithey were "Not a legitimate Jpg file format" .....Or something to that effect. I thought Jpgs were Jpgs, Tiffs were Tiffs, Gifs are gifs and so on.
    On my G-6, I can save them as RAW or Jpg. but usually a Jpg.

Apparently this new EXIF is new to digital cameras.. how do I sae mt pictures to appear on her camera.
    I don't know if she tried to print these pictures at Costco yet,but ususally all my newly photoshop re-edited jpg files are visble and printable from my Compac flash card,but again, I can see myy edited pictures on my Camera, like on a slideshow on TV.

EXIF- stands for Exchangeable Image File Format, and is a standard for storing interchange information in image files, especially those using JPEG compression. Most digital cameras now use the EXIF format. The format is part of the DCF standard created by JEITA to encourage interoperability between imaging devices.

JPEG Encoded File with Exif Metadata
    http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/f...dd000147.shtml

JPEG is an ISO/IEC standard; Exif is from JEITA (Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association).

Best check her manual and change the format of what she can work with to be compatable.

JPEG Compression Mode
    Still Image: Exif 2.2 (JPEG)
    Movie: AVI (Image: Motion JPEG; Audio: WAVE (Monaural))
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...elTechSpecsAct
    Seems you are stuck with just that mode.

Exif all digital cameras for the last several years have supported it.

Cameras can be picky about showing pics taken with different cameras.

You have to make sure.

1) Does the imported file follow the file naming conventions of the host camera ?
    Eg if the camera expects a name like dsc0001.jpg, its not going to like a file called myholiday.jpg or even a file called dsc0001.jpeg
    A camera not supporting RAW will not be able to show a RAW picture and even if it did support RAW its unlikely to be able to view a RAW file captured by a different camera.

2) Is the file equal to or less than the max size allowed ?
    Eg a camera that takes 5mp pics, will be unlikely to allow you to view 10mp shots

3) If the file has been edited has the exif data been damaged or removed?
    Some editors remove or alter the exif, some cameras will still allow the picture to be shown, many will not, especially if the thumbnail embedded into the jpeg is missing.. (my sony h1 shows these pictures as a blank square, i simply have to use the internal controls to "resave" the picture and a new valid picture is saved with thumbnail and mostly blank exif)

4) If you loaded the pics via a card reader, did you save the files into the correct folder on the card?

And even if you meet all those hurdles, its still possible for the camera to refuse to display the pic, ie the firmware (internal software) may just have been written to refuse to show any picture not produced by the same model.

These are somethings to check anyway, if you need more help (since I am not familiar with the various canon models) then you could try a dedicated Canon forum such as http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1010
    Last edited by General Winters; November 25th, 2007 at 11:40 PM.
    Current PC

Zoostorm
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, (XP Mode virtual pc enabled)
    WEI 7.4, 7.6, 7.9, 7.9, 5.9
    Intel Core i5-2310, 8GB Ram
    Geforce GTX 660 OC
    Samsung Syncmaster SA300 23.6" monitor

Folding@home
    User Name Sintares
    Team guru3d

There is no such thing as overkill. 'Open fire' and 'is it dead?' are the only sane options when threatened.

Thank you guys..I have not seen her or her Camera in a few weeks....I will investigate her Camera and see what I see and post back after I see her. I inderstand about the prickly issue of renaming Camera file names. However, I might not see her before I go into for major surgery in a few weeks. depending on how I feel, I will do my best to find out what I can and get back...Thank you! Thanks again Train for your heklp in other hardware forums!

Your Welcome.

General Winters posted some stuff I had not thought of.

Thread Information