MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase

Thread: MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase

MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase

MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase is a file in Windows\System Volume Information (a hidden folder). It seems to have been introduced with WinXP and has something to do with Indexing Services and System Restore. But just what it does has not been determined.
    It is a zero byte file. MS declares it to be a System File. It is not a virus/trojan or other malware.

In my experience, after deleting the MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase file it is reinstalled upon a reboot. I have Googled it and found much discussion, but not what it does, how to make it stay deleted, or what will happen if I were to learn how. (Turning off System Restore may be one method, but I do not want to do that on a permanent basis.)

Now why do I care?
    One of the main problems with this zero byte file is that some backup programs get hung up on it when I try to create a drive image. The drive image cannot be completed unless I delete MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase before starting the imaging program. And sometimes I must monitor throughout the imaging process that it has not been reinstalled in the SVI folder.

A very hairy discussion is posted here.
    http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversio...hp/t24232.html
    And here is the very lengthy Google list of references
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Mount...n&start=0&sa=N (probably not worth reading many)

Does anyone know what MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase does? Strange that a zero byte file should be such a nuisance.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

I don't know what the "MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase" file is for but, in an attempt to get around the backup problem you might try deleting the file and then immediately creating a subdirectory (in the same directory where the file was) named "MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase". The two commands would be:
    del MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase
    md MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase
    (From within the correct directory of course).

The reason it might/should work is because Windows (and MS-DOS) do not allow a file and a directory to have identical names (within the same directory).

Spyware Dr--Thanks for the suggestion. What I actually did was to delete the file and then the image backup proceeded successfully. Upon rebooting my PC, the file had been reinstalled in the original SVI. I assume the image does not have it, but presumably I can get it, if I ever need to restore backed up files to my hard drive from the image, by rebooting.
    But I still wonder what MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase does, whether it can be permanently deleted and what would happen if I did.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim

But I still wonder what MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase does, ...
    Afraid I don't know. My guess would be it has something to do with System Restore (or maybe Indexing).

Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim
    ... whether it can be permanently deleted and what would happen if I did.
    Currently don't have a system that I'm willing to try a test on.

Thread Information