[RESOLVED] Error 1500 ontrying to install/uninstall Adobe reader 8.1

Thread: [RESOLVED] Error 1500 ontrying to install/uninstall Adobe reader 8.1

Resolved [RESOLVED] Error 1500 ontrying to install/uninstall Adobe reader 8.1

I tried to install Adobe reader 8.1. I already had v.7 installed and working. Now I cannot use either. When I try to open 8.1 from the start menu, It starts setup. If I try repair or remove, I get the error message 1500---"Another installation is in progress, complete this first".
    I do not have another installation running, so I am stuck.

V.7 seems to be disabled also. If I try to use the setup files for this, I get the same error message.
    I have tried on and off several times, even after a Windows restore for a week previous, the error stills arises.

What can I do to install it?
    Any help would be appreciated.

The following article describes some techniques that apply to Microsoft Money throwing a similar error, but the same general techniques may be of help with the Adobe Reader errors and problems also.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827814/en-us
    Be extremely careful if you decide to edit the registry as described...Make a backup of your current registry first.
    Last edited by Robert M; September 10th, 2007 at 08:10 PM.
    Open your mind, not your computer.

Thanks Robert,
    I will check out the various methods in the list and reply when done.

From the Adobe website here
    Issue

-- "Error 1500. Another installation is already in progress. Complete that install before proceeding with this installation."

Detail

The Acrobat installation failed, and the installer was not able to roll back the incomplete installation successfully.

Solution 1: Remove any in-progress installations.

Disclaimer: This procedure involves editing the Windows registry. Adobe doesn't provide support for editing the registry, which contains critical system and application information. Make sure to back up the registry before editing it. For more information about the registry, see the Windows documentation or contact Microsoft.

1. Choose Start > Run, and type regedit in the Open text box; click OK.

2. Open the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Inprogress.

3. If the Inprogress key exists, delete it and then restart the installation.

Solution 2: Unregister and then reregister the Windows Installer Service.

1. Choose Start > Run, and type msiexec /unreg in the Open text box; click OK.

2. Choose Start > Run, and type msiexec /regserver in the Open text box; click OK

And after you get rid of it,,do yourself a favor and get Foxit Reader and ferget about adobe...
    Stupid question? No such thing!
    Virtual Dr. to the rescue!
    Just ask. Bookmark your post for easy reference.
    ==================================

Thank you all.
    I thought dealing with the registry would be a problem I hoped I wouldn't need, so I found another solution, that was to uninstall and reinstall windows Installer.
    I was then able to use repair on a fresh install of Reader, but the program still did not work. However, using windows uninstaller, it worked perfectly, in less than a minute. After a restart, all traces had cleared.

I have now installed Foxit Reader, which is superior in many ways and seems to be free and not a trial.

Problem resolved

Thread Information