AVG Scanner Getting Stuck When Running System Scan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AVG Scanner Getting Stuck When Running System Scan

Hybrid View

AVG Scanner Getting Stuck When Running System Scan

I use the free edition of AVG Antivirus software which has always worked great. Lately when my automatic system scan that I have set for 4am in the morning runs it gets stuck on the same file C:/windowssystemvolume and never can get past this.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling AVG and I still can't get past this one directory for some reason when I run a system scan. Any ideas what might be causing this and how I can correct it so that the scan completes? Updates are working fine.

Do you have a folder named "c:\windowssystemvolume"? AFAIK, no Windows versions up through XP has a folder with that name. XP does have a hidden folder named "C:\System volume Information".

Also, are you sure that the error message is using a forward-slash ("/") instead of a backslash ("\")? DOS and Windows use backslashes between the drive and folder names and Unix|Linux|Aix use a forward-slash.

Might try Safe Mode and or searching through AVG's forums.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

SpywareDr you are correct with C:\SystemVolumeInformation . That is what it is. I was going my memory and posted the wrong path. This just started happening about a week ago. I wonder if a windows update might have caused this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones
    Might try Safe Mode and or searching through AVG's forums.
    How did you make out when you tried one or both of these?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

FWIW, I Google'd "c:/windowssystemvolume", "c:\windowssystemvolume" and "windowssystemvolume" and didn't get a single hit on any one of 'em.

The "System Volume Information" folder is a hidden system folder that the System Restore tool uses to store its information and restore points. There is a "System Volume Information" folder on every partition on your computer.

You may need to temporarily disable System Restore, reboot, re-enable System Restore, then try AVG again.

If that doesn't work, disable System Restore, reboot, run AVG, then re-enable System Restore.

How to turn off and turn on System Restore in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

Ok, I will give that a try. Do you know if there is anyway to start the Automatic Scan that I have set for 4am to only check my C drive? I have some extra drives in my computer that I use for storage that always get scanned by the automatic AVG scan which in turn causes a much longer scan time
    I see where you can manually scan only your C drive but I was wondering if there is some way to set the Automatic Scan to only check the C drive.

Been a while but try this command:
    "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe" C:
    (including the quotes).

If that doesn't work, you can view the brief help with the command:
    "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe" /?
    (including the quotes).

You could also change into the ""C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7" folder and then simply do a "avgw.exe /?":
    c:
    cd "c:\program files\grisoft\avg7"
    avgw.exe /?
    (Of course all of the above assumes your "avgw.exe" program is installed in your ""C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7" folder).

The complete scan is stuck again. I have attached a screenshot of exactly where it is stuck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ginky4

The complete scan is stuck again. I have attached a screenshot of exactly where it is stuck.
    Was System Restore temporarily disabled when this happened?

I tried it with System Restore disabled an enabled and it is still sticks at the same spot. I just ran a ChkDsk and it showed no errors so I am going to run AVG Complete scan again to see what happens. I have not tried Safe Mode yet.

See Below
    Last edited by ginky4; December 9th, 2007 at 06:51 PM.

I finally have solved this issue so I thought I would post my fix. These are the steps I used to resolve this.

1) I uninstalled Zone Alarm (free version)
    2) I turned off System Restore
    3) I went into Folder Options in Control Panel and went to the View Tab
    and checked Show Hidden Files and Folders. I unchecked Hide Extensions For Known Files Types and Hide Protected Operating System Files.

4) I then rebooted the computer into Safe Mode.
    5) Once in Safe Mode go to the System Volume Information folder on your C drive and open it up. You will see a file called tracking.log in here.

6) Delete the file in this folder called tracking.log Windows will recreate it when you reboot.
    7) I then rebooted into Normal Mode and reenabled System Restore
    8) I then ran the AVG full scan and it no longer got stuck on the System Volume Information folder
    9 I then reinstalled Zone Alarm free and the AVG Full Scan still completed successfully.

It seems as though the tracking.log file in the System Volume Information folder was the culprit that was causing the AVG Scan to get stuck on the C:\System Volume Information folder.

This file can only be deleted in Safe Mode. I am not sure if uninstalling Zone Alarm was really necessary or had anything to do with the problem. I probably could have just deleted the tracking.log file in Safe Mode and skipped uninstalling Zone Alarm.

Do a chkdsk /r
    Might want to run the hdd diagnostics of that drive also.

Thread Information