[RESOLVED] Computer Won't Boot With Second SATA Hard Drive Connected

Thread: [RESOLVED] Computer Won't Boot With Second SATA Hard Drive Connected

Resolved [RESOLVED] Computer Won't Boot With Second SATA Hard Drive Connected

I have an Abit motherboard that I have always run 2 SATA hard drives on. My primary on SATA 1 is a 250gb Western Digital that runs my operating system. The secondary hard drive on SATA 2 is a 80gb Western Digital hard drive that I use only for storage. The computer runs great with this setup.

I decided to replace the secondary 80gb hard drive with a new 250gb Western Digital hard drive so that I could have some more storage. With this new 250gb Western Digital hard drive connected on SATA 2 the computer won't boot for some reason. If I go back to the 80gb hard drive the computer boots up fine.

Why would this bigger hard drive on SATA 2 cause my computer not to boot. Any idea why this would happen?

What does the bios say for max storage??
    Obviously it runs good first way, but second way seems to be a problem.

500 GB of storage may be too much for its processor .
    Windows 10 Home 64 Intel® Core™ i5-8265U (1.6 GHz base frequency, up to 3.9 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
    17.3" diagonal HD+ SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1600 x 900) 256 GB - 5400 rpm SATA
    Windows 10 //21H1 (OS Build 19044..2251) 64bit //Google Chrome 118.0.5993.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)/ 16GB Memory/ AMD Radeon HD 7700 series Video Card//N68C-GS FX2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core /[/B]

Where in the bios would I find the Max Storage? The thing runs great with the 80gb drive connected. As soon as I replace the 80gb with the new 250gb SATA drive the system halts and won't boot.

I did boot the computer up with the secondary sata hard drive disconnected. Once the computer was booted up I plugged in the secondary 250gb Sata 2 drive to see what would happen and the whole computer froze.

Problem solved!! I just figured out that this new 250gb Western Digital hard drive is SATA II. My motherboard only supports SATA I. All I had to do to fix this problem was put a jumper on the 5-6 pin on the new hard drive which is the OPT 1 jumper. This enables the 150MB/s data transfer speed for SATA 1. Now everything is working great.

Thread Information