[xp]Shut Down Issues

Thread: [xp]Shut Down Issues

[xp]Shut Down Issues

hello...
    i have a pentium 4, 2.8ghz processor running 1gb ram and windows xp service pack 2 with all updates...
    when i click on start - turn off computer - restart or shutdown, my computer just freezes at that spot and i have to restart or shutdown manually...
    please i have tried many things such as format harddrive, reinstall windows a few times, updated windows updates, ran virusscan, checked memory, updated graphics card , also tried restarting or shutting down in safe mode.....
    so any help will be greatly appreciated..
    thank you....

farry--Perhaps of help
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029
    If you still have the problem
    http://www.velocityreviews.com/forum...shut-down.html
    And if still no fix
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ze+on+shutdown

Are you getting any error messages? Have you run Error Checking (formerly ScanDisk) lately?
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

It could be a program that you have installed that is still running and not letting windows shut down. Did it do this after a clean install with no other programs installed.
    Happiness is a journey, not a destination. So work like you don't need money, Ride like you've never crashed, and dance like no one's watching!!!!!

farry--Following up rbc1100's suggestion: If you can access TaskManager (simultaneous click Control+Alt+Delete, or Start|Run|type taskmgr|OK, or click on blank spot on Taskbar|Task Manager) to see if you can spot any program still running that you thought you had shut down?
    If this is not possible because of the freeze, perhaps try it before you actually initiate the Shutdown process, but have closed all programs.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Could be be bad Ram.., I figured after a reinstall and a format as stated in the Post I doubt there is a program running under the Taskbar except for Windows.,

Try pulling all peripheral cards and Ram and install one at a time., If there is only I stick of Ram have that stick checked out seperatly. If Ram is Okay the video Card or slot cards can be checked next. It may even be the Video and there is a spot ion safemode where you can start up in regular windows using the bare video settings i.e. 800 by 600 .
    Windows 10 Home 64 Intel® Core™ i5-8265U (1.6 GHz base frequency, up to 3.9 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
    17.3" diagonal HD+ SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1600 x 900) 256 GB - 5400 rpm SATA
    Windows 10 //21H1 (OS Build 19044..2251) 64bit //Google Chrome 118.0.5993.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)/ 16GB Memory/ AMD Radeon HD 7700 series Video Card//N68C-GS FX2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core /[/B]

Thread Information