[RESOLVED] SonyVaio wont boot . long beeps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] SonyVaio wont boot . long beeps

Resolved [RESOLVED] SonyVaio wont boot . long beeps

My Grand sons SonyVaio desktop computer quit working. When I turn on the power . I get a black screen and a loud beeeeeep that last about 4 seconds, then stops, then beeeeeep about 4 seconds again, then stops, repeats. Windows XP. system is 4 years old now.

I'd check the memory. They may just need reseating. But if you want to be thorough take them out and replace one (assuming more than one is present). If that works try it with the other single module. If any of them fail that'll tell you it's malfunctioning.

Here is some useful BIOS beep information.
    http://www.pctechbytes.com/bios.htm

If at first you don't succeed.... start working on the next version of Windows.

Also, check that the graphics card is firmly seated, that will also give those long beeps on some systems.
    Nick.

Thanks SuperSparks , was going to call him tonight and get the model # to see if i can't find the bios beep code for it . Will post back .

Finally got the model number it is a Sony PCV RX-830 system. can't find anything on the beep codes for it though .

Probably need to know who the CMOS/BIOS manufacturer is, (such as AMI, Phoenix, etc.), in order to look up the beep codes.

Sony eSupport - PCV-RX830 - Model Home
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...l?mdl=PCVRX830

A long beep and completely black screen on start like that will nearly always be either RAM or graphics card in my experience.
    Nick.

Ram or ram on the graphics card.

Thanks guys it is a Award BIOS . It only has one stick of ram , so i couldn't take one out and check to see if is was the ram .

Take the RAM module out and gently clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, then replace it. Do the same with the graphics card, and see if that helps.
    Nick.

loud beeeeeep that last about 4 seconds, then stops, then beeeeeep about 4 seconds again
    Repeating (Endless loop) Memory error Bad memory or bad connection

Use the pencil erasure trick. Might even try a different slots to.

Turns out the ribbon cable came loose from the hard drive.... I don't know how that happens. Oh well... he does have 1024 MB of ram now . Thanks for everyones help and advice. Much appreciated .

You're very welcome

I must say that's a new one on me, I've never known a disconnected drive cable to prevent booting like that. In fact on all my builds I always leave connecting the hard drives until last, and it's never caused me any boot up problems
    Nick.

Vibration will cause those connections to loosen. Found that problem a few times.

Now that beeping like that for a loose connection is right Wierd .

I agree, that is weird. Usually, if a PC cannot find an Operating System to boot from, it displays a brief message.

Thread Information