windows could not finish repairing the problem..... clearing the DNS Cache

Thread: windows could not finish repairing the problem..... clearing the DNS Cache

Hybrid View

windows could not finish repairing the problem..... clearing the DNS Cache

Hi all

My freind is on BT ADSL Broadband. The connection via a router (BT Voyager 210 ADSL Router). The connection is working fine (I'm online now writing this). However, as soon as I try to switch to another router (Billion 802.11g ADSL2+ Router), the connection fails. I have tried the following:

Start, run cmd. Then in the DOS window I typed ipconfig /renew. It renewed the connection and seemed fine, but still no connection!

If I click on control panel and on network connections there is a connection there, but still no connection to explorer. I tried to 'Repair' the connection and got the following message:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem, because the following action could not be completed:
    Clearing the DNS cache

Is this router ok? The BT that works fine is an ADSL one, and this new one is ADSL2+

At the moment on this new connection I can see in the network connections box:

IP Address: 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Assigned by DHCP

This is the connection that IS working!

So, when I change over to the other router (Billion 802.11g ADSL+2 Router)

should all this be identical?

Anybody got any ideas why the DNS cache can't be cleared???

Is the IP address of the new Billion router in the same subnet? In other words, is it in the same 192.168.1.x range?
    Nick.

Seems to me you should type ipconfig /release in the Command window, allowing the DNS cache to clear (you'll get a DNS log full of zeroes); then type ipconfig /renew after swapping the routers.

To clear only the DNS cache without touching DHCP or in case you are using a static IP run ipconfig /flushdns from a CMD window.

Using IPconfig /renew is renewing the computer itself, not the router.

Try this:
    With the Voyager router connected, http to its management console and release the IP Address it received from your ISP. Connect your Billion router, http to its management console and renew the address (you might not have to renew the address with the Billion router since it will request an IP upon bootup)
    The only barrier to knowledge is the perception that you already have it.

Thread Information