[RESOLVED] can't see / gain access to the other computer

Thread: [RESOLVED] can't see / gain access to the other computer

Resolved [RESOLVED] can't see / gain access to the other computer

Hi everybody,

I've got a small LAN (one laptop and one main desktop computer linked through a router, infrastructure mode, but the desktop PC is linked to the router thorugh a cable, while the laptop is wireless), and although I can see the desktop computer icon from the laptop, I can't the other way round. When I run the "ping" in the desktop computer, it fails to find the laptop's IP address. However, both firewalls allow both IP addresses to income.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Hello Inak,

You didn't provide us the operating system the desktop and the laptop is running. We need a little more information and the software firewall that you are using to help us better diagnose the problem. You can also follow this thread to help us help you.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=198879
    Eric

more data

Hi ecross,
    OK, I forgot the operating systems: the desktop computer is WXP Home Edition, while the laptop is WXP Proffesional.
    Firewalls: McAffee for the desktop PC, zonelabs for the laptop.
    Router: Linksys WRT54GC. Attached the ipconfig/all screenshot.

Regards

ZoneAlarm appears to blocking ping requests being made. Just to check make sure you have added the IP Address that is assigned to the other computer to the Trusted Zone, as described in the following link.

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...n&lid=zasupp_h
    Eric

it's working now

Good! It works now, I overlooked the data related to the trusted zone (IP range). However, when I've tried to edit the adapter subnet, ZoneAlarms doesn't allow me to do so and I added a new name. Wouldn't it possible to extend the IP range specified in the Adapter Subnet line?

You didn't provide the ipconfig information for both computers; however, the one computer you provided has DHCP disabled. If you have manually configured the ip address for the computers it isn't necessary to extend the IP range. I'm glad it's working.
    Eric

closing

Yes, I'm quite puzzled about it, cause in principle both have DHCP enabled, I'll have a look.
    Anyway, many thanks for your assistance ecross. I'm closing this thread

You're welcome!
    Eric

Thread Information