[RESOLVED] unable access bios using wireless keyboard

Thread: [RESOLVED] unable access bios using wireless keyboard

Resolved [RESOLVED] unable access bios using wireless keyboard

Hi all,

I have a microsoft wireless multimedia keyboard 1.1 and I am running windows xp. My problem is that I can´t access BIOS when restarting my computer as my keyboard doesn´t allow me to key the "DEL" key. It seems that it turns on , on later stages. How can I fix this, any idea?

Txs a lot

I've moved your post to the Hardware forum, it's more appropriate here.

If your BIOS has the option to control USB by operating system or BIOS, set it to BIOS and it may work. Otherwise, use a PS/2 keyboard for BIOS access.

You probably need to get hold of a PS/2 keyboard and then go into the BIOS and enable USB keyboard and legacy USB support. I keep an old PS/2 keyboard laying around just to get round this particular Catch-22 situation.
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by lgbpop
    I've moved your post to the Hardware forum, it's more appropriate here.

If your BIOS has the option to control USB by operating system or BIOS, set it to BIOS and it may work. Otherwise, use a PS/2 keyboard for BIOS access.
    I have to tell you this is a fun read. How does he get into BIOS in the first place to control USB by BIOS? This is like a chicken and egg situation.

In any case, I think that a PS/2 keyboard is must, even to configure bios to allow the future use of USB-based wireless keyboard to be operable during bootup.
    my code doesn't break, it only bends

What do you expect from me that early in the morning?

Thank you all for your advises. Must say that I still keep my old ps/2 keyboard for such cases but It pisses me off having to plug the old keyboard when such technology (wireless) is available.
    Since I am not a genius with pc's I am not quite sure if I know where to find those setting in BIOS but I will try.

Txs a lot!

Hi guys, I believe the problem has been solved.
    While restarting my computer I noticed that there is a "F Lock" button in the keyboard. By pressing it and then keying "DEL" button. I accessed BIOS!!!!
    It worked....!!!!

Txs a lot anyways for your time and assistance.

Well that is strange, F-Lock should only affect the Function keys - it shouldn't affect the Del key at all L Still, it worked, that's the important thing.

Thanks for posting back and letting us know the answer
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by giorgosgeorge View Post
    Hi guys, I believe the problem has been solved.
    While restarting my computer I noticed that there is a "F Lock" button in the keyboard. By pressing it and then keying "DEL" button. I accessed BIOS!!!!
    It worked....!!!!

Txs a lot anyways for your time and assistance.
    I had the same problem, and to be honest, I was quite dubious of this solution. However, before digging through my closet to find where I might have stashed my old keyboard, I figured it was worth a try.

To my pleasant surprise, it worked exactly as advertised. Hit F Lock button, then Del button, and voila... BIOS has been accessed.

Thanks for the tip.

Thread Information