[RESOLVED] Invisible lines

Thread: [RESOLVED] Invisible lines

Resolved [RESOLVED] Invisible lines

I have an HP Pavilion Desk-top PC with Vista and an HP w2077 flat panel display. My problem is that parts of the display are so washed out and not visibly defined that it is often impossible to fill in forms. In other words there is no visible little box outlined so that the required information can be filled in. This leaves me guessing and clicking around the area where you are supposed to type in information. I have tried "Getting the best display on your monitor" changing the screen resolution and color. Nothing helps. The little boxes and lines that I need to fill in are invisible and sometimes impossible to find. For instance, the screen which I am entering this message has a heading at the top of the form "Title" but there are no outlines showing me where to put the cursor so that I can type in the title.

Any quick fixes out there?
    Thanks,
    notnoid

Sounds like the monitor is going bad. Swap the monitors (borrow if you have to) and see if that makes a difference. If so, time to go shopping for a new monitor.

This is an almost new monitor! It performs great in every respect except for the invisible lines.

I tried to get ahold of some human at HP....Forget it! They are sooo big that they don't have to give a s**t. Besides, I bought it at Circuit City just before they went belly up. I'll probably have a hard time warranty wise.

Thanks for your input.
    notnoid

Quote Originally Posted by notnoid View Post
    the screen which I am entering this message has a heading at the top of the form "Title" but there are no outlines showing me where to put the cursor so that I can type in the title.
    Does this effect also appear in the image if you take a screenshot? If it does, then the problem is being caused by the rendering of the page rather than the way the monitor is displaying it.

As Midknyte has already suggested, a further confirmation would be to temporarily swap monitors to prove whether the effect is in the display side (monitor) or the image generation side (video card or page rendering).
    Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Silly question time Have you tried adjusting the contrast and brightness using the monitor's controls?
    Nick.

Talking

Hey Supersparks:
    All I can say is DUH!!!. It worked! I never figured that in this day & age you might be able to fiddle with the knobs, like on an old TV, and fine tune the picture. I musta figured that it was all done with a program built into the computer and that the monitor only did what the PC programming told it to do.
    Thanks,
    notnoid

It's always the simple things that get ya

I'm glad you got it sorted out
    Nick.

OMG. That's the first thing I would have tried before posting to a forum. My fault for assuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    My fault for assuming.
    Me too... D'oh!
    Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Thread Information