Error C0000218 when PC Boots
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error C0000218 when PC Boots

Error C0000218 when PC Boots

I download the lastest updates on my Dell 8600 laptop running XP Pro. When I rebooted I got the following error:

Stop: C0000218 {Registery File Failure}
    The registry cannot load the hive (file)
    \systemRoot\stystem32\config\sofware
    or its log or alternate

I'm able to boot in SAFE mode and run some baic programs. I tried booting for the windows CD that came with the PC. I got the Window Setup menu. After many files loaded, the message Windows starting (something like that) and the a blue screen with the message:

STOP: C0000221 unknown Hard error
    \SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

Also, in SAFE mode I'm able to access the Windows CD and can access the Install Menu.

Any help would be appricated,

I think you need to run a diagnostic utility on that hard drive. Download this and burn it to CD, it has all the hard drive diagnostic utilities plus many more besides. You don't need to boot into Windows to run them, just boot up with the CD in the drive, select the utility that you want and it will run:

Ultimate Boot CD

If you aren't sure of the make of drive that is installed use the Seagate Seatools, or Hitachi Drive Fitness Test utilities, as they will work with any make of drive. You may find these instructions helpful for burning the UBCD .iso file to disc:

How can I write (burn) ISO files to CD or DVD?
    Nick.

SuperSparks...When I click on the Ultimate Boot CD link and I go to the site and see a button to download which takes me to Spotmau.com where I see I can buy the CD. On Ultimate Boot CD site I see multiple links to different programs, but not one link to download all. Am I missing something.

You are probably clicking on one of the ads, instead of the real download. You need to click the download link on the left side menu.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

I'm with you. It has been a long day so far.

Thank for setting me straight.

I go back to Trains comment: as an easy first step: the Easy or slightly easy method..

What happens when you attempt to do a System Restore - pick one from a day or two before the issue started..

When I've gone back three System Restore points with no luck. I get a message like 'Windows can't restore for this date, pick another'.

Do the hard drive diag first. Don't waste time fussing with software until you know the drive is good.

Thanks for all the advice. Here is where I'm at I've run the hard dirve diagnostic and the diagnostic found no issues with the hard drive. Dell also include a diagnostic tool for the hard drive and now issue were found. Suggestions?

I was where you were just the week before last. I assume it's still running XP; in safe mode try going to Start | Run and typing in the following:

sfc /scannow (note the space before the switch)

This will start the System File Checker and will restore your OS files to their original configuration. Have a retail XP CD handy if you can get one because you may be prompted to insert it; your OEM restore CD may work but I didn't have any luck myself using mine.

To be honest, if your Registry is corrupted just restoring system files probably won't work - but it doesn't take long and it eliminates one possible cause of your problem. Don't attempt a reinstall with the Dell CD just yet - it's an image and if used will wipe out any non-original software and documents/photos that you haven't backed up first.

When I try to run sfc /scannow I get the following message 'Windows file protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC srver is unavailable.]

I found the following but I don't have key SFCDisable

Use the following steps to re-enable WFP.

1. Click Start, Run. Type Regedit.exe and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon
    3. Double-click SFCDisable and set its Value data to 0

Any additional help would be appriciated.

I think your Windows installation is badly hosed

Please can you confirm that you do have a proper Windows CD, and not one of those "Restore" discs?
    Nick.

I have the Windows restore cd's that came with the Dell 8600 laptop and I have the Window XP pro cd that came with a cutom desktop I had built. I figured I was close to having to do the reinstall, but figure I would post and see if I had options and it appears I've used all of them.

Using the XP Pro disc, I think you need to do an over-the-top re-install of Windows XP here. Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by pressing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to perform a re-install of WinXP

Repair XP

WinXP Non-destructive Total Rebuild
    Nick.

Thread Information