Backups! What Backups?

Thread: Backups! What Backups?

Backups! What Backups?

Hi All,

Have a question about backing up to a CD. What good is the backup if when one tries to put it on a hard disk, it gets rejected because it's a Read Only file. I know there is a way around this but need someone to explain the method. Thank you.

Had that happen to me yesterday. I just did "save as", unchecked "read only", renamed it, and I was able to burn a copy of it that way.
    I'm sure someone else will have a better way, but it worked for me.
    In Dog We Trust

GetaGrrrip

Usually I think of burning as putting something on a CD. So I'm a little confused. What I'm trying to do is transfer something that has already been burned to the CD to the hard drive. However I also think you are on the right track and it is something like what you are saying that I remember. If I'm reading you wrong, please clarify. Thank you for your interest.

The burned files on the CD are read only (they have to be because once burned to CD they cannot be changed) but that doesn't stop you from simply moving them back to the hard drive. If the file you are replacing that's already on the hard drive is read only then you'd get a message that the file can't be changed, deleted replaced etc because it's read only. The only warning you'd get from the CD file is if you tried to change it somehow or overwrite it.

In other words the CD file is read only but it can be manipulated (moved around) in any way except changed or overwritten until its attributes are changed. If you're getting a warning about "read only" when you try to overwrite a hard drive file then it's that file and not the CD file that needs to have its attributes changed (changing attributes is right clicking and unchecking "read only")

Hope that's clear.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Now if that is data, like a .txt file, then copy it back to the hdd. R-click it and select properties, remove the read only check mark. APPLY and OK out.

If you put your files in a compressed/zipped folder first, the attributes are not changed.

In explorer, right click > New > Compressed (zipped folder) Folder. Name it "whatever you like.zip" put in your files and burn it to CD.
    Qualifications:
    I have read:
    Windows 3.11 for Dummies
    Windows 95 for Dummies (Second Chapter)

Fed up with UK 0870 Phone Numbers

Backup Boogaloo, you know it makes sense to do.

fink, Train, Philgo,

Finally I'm getting the procedure. I was able to successfully transfer the contents of a CD back to the hard disk. Also, I found another way not discussed in your replies. It is somewhat round about but seems to work. I copied the CD contents to a flash drive and changed the attribute from Read Only and then dragged and dropped to the hard drive.

Thank you for your supporting help.

Another easy way of getting rid of the read-only attribute is to go to the Command Prompt (Start>Run>cmd), and type "attrib -R filepath /S /D" without the quotes.
    Nick.

SuperSparks,

Thank you for your contribution. That procedure looks like a keeper to me but I haven't been able to get it to work. Could you be more informative about the location of spaces.

Certainly

attrib{space}-R{space}X:\myfolder\myfile{space}/S{space}/D

The /S and /D switches are optional, but won't hurt anything. You can get more info by typing:

attrib{space}/?
    Nick.

Thread Information